Tobacco Products Market Size
The global market size for tobacco products, including cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, and smoking tobacco for 2018 is approximately $639.255 billion, growing at a CAGR of 2.8% from 2016 to 2021.
In 2017, China National Tobacco Corporation produced the largest quantity of the products, accounting for 38% of the global volume share.
2018 TOBACCO PRODUCT MARKET SIZE
- According to a report by Grand View Research, the global market size for tobacco products for 2018 is approximately $639.255 billion. [estimated]
- The market will grow at a CAGR of 2.8% between 2016 and 2021.
MARKET ANALYSIS BY PRODUCT TYPE
- According to a 2017 report by the Foundation for a Smoke-free World, combustible tobacco
products (cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, and smoking tobacco)
constituted 95.8% of the nicotine ecosystem by retail sales
- In the same year, smokeless tobacco products made up about 1.6% of the nicotine ecosystem by retail sales.
- In 2017, cigarettes alone constituted about 89.1% of the global
retail nicotine ecosystem by sales value.
- In 2016, cigarettes dominated the global tobacco product market, accounting for about 93% of the overall generated revenue, with smoking tobacco having only a 3.4% share of the global tobacco product market revenue.
- About 5.4 trillion retail cigarette sticks were sold
- Accounting for the Illicit Trade, the figure increased to 5.9 trillion
cigarette sticks in 2018 and has the potential to rise to 6.4 trillion sticks if locally manufactured combustible
tobacco products are accounted for.
MARKET ANALYSIS BY GEOGRAPHY
- "Six largest tobacco companies generated
approximately 80% of the nicotine-related product retail
volume (in cigarette stick equivalents) globally during 2017".
- China has the largest tobacco market, followed by the U.S., the U.K., and Canada.
- China National Tobacco Corporation produced the largest quantity of the products accounting for 38%of the volume share. The next 5 publicly traded tobacco
companies accounted for 42% of the volume share combined, with British American Tobacco accounting for 13%; Philip Morris International
Inc having a 13% share; Japan Tobacco Inc accounting for 9%; Imperial Brands, with a 4% share; and
Altria Group Inc, with a 3% share.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the percentage of people who smoke globally is as follows: Europe (29.4%), Western Pacific (24.5%), Eastern Mediterranean (18.1%), South East Asia (16.9%), Americas (16.9%), and Africa (9.8%).
To answer this request, we searched through the public domain for any available report or market analysis available for the global tobacco product market forecast. Our research was successful as we found a report by Grand View Research [s1] detailing the global market size forecast for the requested tobacco products. Furthermore, we collaborated our source with another report from the Foundation for a Smoke-free World, which provided a market analysis of the industry by geography. From the report, we performed the below triangulation to arrive at our value for the 2018 market size for the global tobacco products industry.
- The global tobacco products market size forecast for cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, smoking tobacco, and smokeless
tobacco for 2021 = $694.47 billion. [s1]
- CAGR for this period = 2.8%
- By using a CAGR calculator, we were able to calculate the 2018 market size value $639,255,017,778.63 or $639.255 billion.