Obtaining Hotel Upgrades
The most common ways in which hotel guests obtain a room upgrade are; just asking, loyalty programs, booking directly from the hotel and checking in late. Some reasons why hotel give upgrades are to celebrate guests, make up for their shortcomings and to compensate for overbooking.
Below is a deep dive into our findings.
- Hotel guests often just ask the front desk if they can get a room upgrade.
- Often times having a celebration like a birthday or anniversary plays in favor of the guests and they can get a free room upgrade from the hotel.
- If the hotel room doesn't meet a guests' expectations or the guest is disappointed by the service and lets the hotel know, the hotel often offers an upgrade to redeem itself.
- Guests also join a hotel's loyalty program in order to get room upgrades.
- According to SkyScanner, 'Signing up for, and using, hotel loyalty rewards programs will always be the easiest way to get a free hotel upgrade.'
- Membership points allow guests to upgrade their room while still earning points for their stay.
BOOK DIRECTLY FROM THE HOTEL
- Calling to book directly from the hotel as opposed to booking online is also a common way to get a hotel room upgrade.
- The personal connection formed may be formed as the guest gives details of his trip to the reservations' agent causing him to upgrade their room.
- Apart from the personal connections formed, hotel booking sites often cut high fees that cut into the hotel’s profit. If the hotel isn’t paying a booking site, they have more allowance to throw you a free upgrade.
CHECKING IN LATE
- Guests are more likely to get an upgrade during late afternoon hours towards evening as opposed to morning hours.
- This is because in the evening, they have a better estimate of which rooms will be occupied for the night and are in a much better position to offer an upgrade with this knowledge.
- They may also have some cancellations or no-shows in the evenings which frees up rooms.
REASONS WHY HOTELS GIVE UPGRADES
- Hotels may offer upgrades if there is a problem with the room or if a guest is unsatisfied with a service.
- Hotels may also upgrade guests who have a special occasion such as a honeymoon, birthday or anniversary.
- If the hotels run out of rooms that had previously been booked, the excess guests may get an upgrade to compensate for the overbooking.
While the research was straightforward for the most part, we were not able to find the average value of an upgraded hotel room. We were able to garner the rest of the information on reputable travel blogs and news sources giving tips and tricks on how guests can get room upgrades in hotels. To determine the most common ways in which hotel guests obtain a hotel room upgrade, we chose the four ways which were the most mentioned across our sources. Most of the ways mentioned were how guests get free upgrades, with the exception of using loyalty programs which often use membership points to get an upgrade.