Google Pay Statistics: Malta
After an extensive search through global and regional data, statistical databases, and analytical apps, details about Google Pay's presence in Malta do not appear to be available in the public domain. However, the research team was able to gather valuable insights about Google Pay and its relationship with Revolut in Malta.
GOOGLE PAY AND REVOLUT
- Google Pay was in 28 countries as of 2018 excluding Malta. The name "Google Pay" came after Google and Android merged. By implication, Google Pay was not in Malta. This provides insight into why finding Google Pay statistics specific to Malta is difficult, given that Malta was not on the list of countries that Google Pay had any presence in as of 2018.
- According to Albert Herd, "Apple Pay is now supported in Malta, through Revolut. But little did Android users know that Google Pay has been supported by Revolut for more than a year now!"
- Google Pay had a total of $102 billion in transaction volume in the European region, including Malta, since Malta is in the European Region.
- Online bank payments are available in Malta through various methods, including Google Pay.
- Revolut began Google Pay operations in July 2018 in Malta and was projected to have 60,000 users by the end of 2018. This provides an estimate of how many Google Pay users there could be, but there is no update available for this projection.
- The Global Mobile Wallets 2019 report included a prediction that the number of e-wallet users worldwide is expected to reach a ten-digit figure in 2019.
- The number of non-cash transaction per inhabitant in Malta saw a CAGR of 10.4% from 2012 to 2015. The CAGR in 2015-2016 for mobile payments overall in Malta was 3.3%.
- "According to reports from April 2018, Google Pay has reached 100
million installs in just a few months, and throughout 2018 and 2019 it expanded its global presence as well, rolling out in many
countries, including Japan, Croatia, the Nordics, UAE, Chile, France, Switzerland, Israel, and Germany," as reported by the 2019 report.
We began by our research going through global organizations that provide analytical data for various countries of the world in a bid to find the statistics showing how Google Pay is used in Malta, specifically concerning the number of users, payments, and merchants accepting Google Pay. We came across a World Payments Report but the report only had CAGR for Malta for payments but did not provide details about how Google Pay is used in Malta. Economic Times discussed the number of Google Pay users in India (25 million) which was not the data we were looking for.
We then looked for statistical data on the European Payment Council in Europe, as Malta is part of the council. We found predictions that Google Pay is expected to reach 100 million users between 2018 and 2019, but this data did not help us solve the questions about how Google Pay is used in Malta.
Next, we consulted online statistical databases that report on both the regional and international level. Through this search, we found information on payment methods in Europe, but these findings did not provide anything specific to Malta or Google Pay's presence in Malta.
We also used analytical apps to find information specific to Malta and Google Pay's presence in Malta. However, we were only able to find information specific to the UK. Without a direct answer or the data necessary to triangulate one, we are unable to determine the number of Google Pay users, the number of payments by volume or overall, or the number of merchants using the service in Malta.
Based on our findings, we know that data specific to Google Pay's presence in Malta is limited. Most data that did refer to Malta did not discuss Google Pay. We did find that there is a link between Revolut and Google Pay's presence in Malta. Google Pay in Malta makes use of Revolut as a platform for services.