Luxury Home Appliances: Case Studies
- Brand awareness is the force that drives a brand’s entire narrative.
- Thermador manufactures luxury kitchen appliances known for their excellent quality. It created a buzz by introducing the cooktop to the American market. Today, it is the second-largest home appliances manufacturer in the U.S.
- Jenn-Air’s luxury kitchen appliances are popular in the U.S. market. It created awareness about itself by introducing the downdraft cooktop in the American market.
- Speed Queen is known for its luxury washers and dryers for which it has received numerous awards affirming its market leader position in the laundry machines segment.
Brand awareness is defined as the “level of familiarity a target audience has with a brand, including their knowledge of the business, its products, and values.” It is the force that drives the entire narrative of a brand.
This research provides case studies of home appliance brands that have successfully generated awareness/buzz about their products. More importantly, it examines the strategies/techniques these brands employed and how they impacted their market position.
- Thermador is today the second-largest company in the home appliances manufacturing segment worldwide. This brand specializes in cooking appliances, notably ovens, cooktops, ranges, dishwashers, and refrigerators. Its luxury appliances are synonymous with excellence.
- Thermador's buzz-creating moment coincides with its introduction of the cooktop (product innovation) in the American market. It is also one of the pioneer manufacturers of steam and convection ovens. The company has carved a brand name for itself thanks to its great innovative products.
- Consumer Reports Appliance Brand Reliability Rankings place Thermador among the top 5 most reliable home appliance manufacturers in the United States. It is particularly noted for its excellent quality refrigerators and dishwashers.
- Jenn-Air is a popular household appliances manufacturer known for producing luxury kitchen appliances whose hallmarks are exceptional performance, innovative technology, and sophisticated design.
- The company’s buzz moment occurred when it introduced the downdraft cooktop (product innovation) in 1962, in addition to pioneering convectional cooking in American homes. Jenn-Air’s built-in refrigerators have been ranked number one consistently for the past four years.
- The company’s dishwashers and refrigerators got a ‘Good’ rating in the Appliance Brand Reliability Rankings.
(c) Speed Queen
- This is the undisputed star when it comes to manufacturing laundry machines. It received recognition for its outstanding washers and dryers, having been voted ‘America’s Most Recommended Luxury Washer and Dryer brand’ consistently from 2014 to 2018. It was recently awarded its second consecutive Women’s Choice Award seal of excellence
- The company has managed to create awareness about its products by being innovative. On this aspect, Speed Queen has designed and built extremely long-lasting washers and dryers that have been known to last 25 years.
- To create more awareness, its landing page has a section dedicated to product testimonials from satisfied customers, all attesting to the toughness and reliability of its washers and dryers. Naturally, winning all these awards has created a nice buzz around Speed Queen and cements its position in the marketplace as the ‘Most Trusted and Recommended Laundry brand’ in the U.S.
- In the Consumer Reports Brand Reliability Rankings, Speed Queen scored 88/100 in Average Predicted Reliability, far outshining other renowned luxury brands like Bosch, Miele, and IKEA.
The research prioritized luxury home appliances manufacturers as per the research objectives. Sources used include market reports, company websites, and independent blogs, all of which were vetted for relevance, currency, and credibility.