I am looking for a high-quality book summary of the book "Deep Work" by Cal Newport. What's the best summary available? I'm looking for something that summarizes each chapter in order. 30 pages would be ideal, but 10 (or even less) to 50 pages could work. To be clear, I don't want any analysis or opinion... just a summary. Also, I am not looking for the researcher to write the summary... rather, find me the best summary or summaries out there. Finally, I'd be willing to consider book summaries that are not free, i.e. I need to pay to read them, if you have reason to believe that the summary is of high quality.
Hello! Thanks for asking Wonder for high-quality summaries for the book "Deep Work," by Cal Newport. The most useful sources I found to respond to your query were Paul Minors, SOLO, and Amazon. In short, Paul Minors offers the most in-depth, freely-available, chapter-by-chapter summary for "Deep Work," by Cal Newport. A 66-page Kindle summary, offered by edify.me, is also available for $3.99 at Amazon. Blog writer SOLO offers another chapter-by-chapter summary at her blog. Several other summaries offer depth, though not by chapter. Below, please find the results of my research. DEEP WORK BY CAL NEWPORT: OVERVIEW
On author Cal Newport's website, "Deep Work" is described as "the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task ... Deep work will make you better at what you do and provide the sense of true fulfillment that comes from craftsmanship." The book is divided into two parts: "The Idea," which has to do with the value of deep work, and "The Rules," which lay out strategies for developing the habit of deep work.
Part 1 of the book aims to convince the reader that its hypothesis is true. That hypothesis contends that deep work is growing rare and that those who are able to cultivate it will thrive. This section of the book discusses the value, rarity, and meaning of deep work and how it has been lost to the distractions of the digital age.
Part 2 is designed to teach the reader how to take advantage of the benefits of deep work by transforming their work habits. This section offers four rules for cultivating deep work:
1. "Work Deeply"
2. "Embrace Boredom"
3. "Quit Social Media"
4. "Drain the Shallows"
Samuel Thomas Davies offers this quick three-sentence overview:
"1. Deep work is the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task.
2. Shallow work is non-cognitively demanding, logistical-style work, often performed while distracted.
3. Deep work is like a superpower in our increasingly competitive twenty-first-century economy."
Davies then offers an overview of the five big ideas, followed by a bullet-point summary. Though not a chapter-by-chapter summary, it is fairly deep. There is also an option to download a PDF version of his summary, which contains additional exercises.
While not a chapter-level summary, Get Abstract offers what they call a full summary, "formatted using getAbstract’s proven template to maximize knowledge retention." It offers a rating, take-aways, summary, quotes, and author biography. It is a subscription-based site, but it offers a free trial.
IN-DEPTH, CHAPTER-BY-CHAPTER SUMMARIES
I found three high-quality, chapter-by-chapter summaries for "Deep Work." Two are free, while the third is a $3.99 Kindle book.
• Paul Minors offers a free summary of "Deep Work" that provides chapter-level overviews. The summary can also be downloaded as a PDF by registering your email address. Without actually downloading, I cannot tell exactly how long the summary is, but based on the web version, it appears to fall within the 10-50 page range you have designated.
• SOLO, a blogger, offers a free, chapter-by-chapter summary of the book as well. Again, since it is displayed on a website, I'm not certain how many pages it would equal, but it looks to be within your requested range.
• An "in-depth, chapter-by-chapter summary" of "Deep Work, offered by edify.me, can be purchased for Kindle for $3.99 at Amazon. The summary is a bit longer than you requested at 66 pages, but it is quite in depth and comes with a 2-page downloadable PDF that offers key points.
SUMMARY To sum up, Paul Minors offers a free, downloadable PDF summary of Deep Work," while a 66-page in-depth, chapter-level summary can be purchased from Amazon for $3.99. SOLO also offers a free, chapter-by-chapter summary. Thanks for using Wonder for your research needs! Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.