Line Application: Company Analysis
Line Application has about 600 million users, 187 million of which are monthly active users. Besides its use for personal purposes (messaging and chats with family and friends), Line is used for business purposes through integrations like LINE Pay, LINE Wow, and LINE Taxi.
- LINE is the most popular messaging app in Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, and Indonesia.
- LINE has an estimated 54 million users in Japan, 33 million in Thailand, and 31 million in Indonesia.
- From LINE’s Youtube Channel, data on channel subscriptions shows that the app is prevalent in the Asian market. All the featured channels on its YouTube page are in Asia.
- LINE Indonesia has the most number of subscribers — 243,161 subscribers and followed by Thailand at 222,491 subscribers. Other featured channels are LINE Singapore, LINE Japan, LINE Korea, LINE Taiwan, and LINE Saudi Arabia.
LINE'S USE PURPOSES
- In Asia, the most popular instant messenger apps like LINE have evolved to become platforms in their own right. On these, users can play games, send money, and shop — and much more.
- The messaging app makes its money with stickers, various mobile apps, games, LINE friends — characters on different stickers, LINE Taxi, LINE Pay, and LINE Wow — a food delivery service.
- LINE app is for personal use — the app can call all friends and family as often and for as long as the user wants.
- The LINE app is available for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, PC — Windows and Mac, and LINE Lite on Android.
- LINE app is used for business purposes through the integration of business functions.
- Taxis and food products can be ordered using LINE Taxi and LINE Wow.
- LINE Pay is a business function of the LINE app. Currently, there are 30 million users of LINE Pay in Japan and 30 million globally.
LINE USER BREAKDOWN
- LINE has about 600 million users — 187 million are monthly active users.
- About 67.3% of monthly active users are from Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, and Indonesia.
- Approximately 95% of females aged between 10 and 19 years who own smartphones use the LINE app and 89.1% of male smartphone owners in the same age group.
- Globally, the number of LINE Pay users was estimated to be 40 million in 2018.
- According to an article published in 2019, the US LINE app has a way smaller user base, only 10 million users. It comes after Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and others which are most popular in the country.
- LINE’s main target group are young adults aged 15 to 34 years, representing more than 50 percent of the company’s Japanese user in 2018.
- There is no indication that people use LINE with DropBox or Google Doc.
- However, there is a possibility of using Dialogflow's LINE Integration allows users to easily create LINE bots with natural language understanding based on Dialogflow technology.
- Dialogflow is a Google service that runs on the Google Cloud Platform, letting you scale to hundreds of millions of users.
LINE GROWTH OUTLOOK
- LINE hopes to export its popularity in Asia to further expand into new areas where other competitors like WhatsApp, Snapchat, and Facebook Messenger already have considerable market shares.
- According to forecasts by analysts, LINE Corp's 2020 sales will range between $2.4 billion and $2.9 billion with a consensus estimate of $2.6 billion.
- LINE is looking to grow its number of users internationally. This year, the company injected $182 million into its mobile payment business. The company sees the upcoming 2020 Olympic Games in Japan as an opportunity to market itself and acquire more users.
- LINE is introducing its credit card with Visa and these according to the company, will lead to considerable gains among the customer segments that prefer convenient payment methods.
To locate the company analysis, we began by combing through the company's website for information regarding the market, users, use purposes, application, and growth outlook. We were able to locate the users and use purpose. However, there was no information regarding the market, application, and growth outlook as this was not reported publicly on the company website.
We went further to explore the company social media channels especially YouTube, where we established that its markets are primarily Asian countries like Japan. We initially focused on the US, further search through industry publications, media outlet news, and expert blogs revealed that the US is not a major market for LINE. Information found were focused on Asian countries like Japan, Indonesia, Taiwan, and Thailand as its primary market.
To locate the growth outlook of the company, we broadened our search to the global arena. We utilized industry publications like Business of Apps and statistical sites like Statistica. Our research team was able to locate relevant information about LINE's users, markets growth outlook, use purposes, and applications. This strategy was successful. We have used the information found publicly to compile this report.