LED Costs: 2012-2019
The most common LED lighting becoming incorporated into commercial and industrial settings is the linear fixture LED. From 2012 to the present, pricing data has been found to show that the price of linear LED fixtures has decreased over this period.
Cost of LED Lighting for Industrial or Commercial Use
Linear LED Fixtures for Industrial Use
- For the past decade, fluorescent (linear) fixtures have been the most common lighting fixture found in commercial and industrial settings.
- Linear LED fixtures can more easily be retrofitted into existing fluorescent fixtures, therefore will more likely be adopted over time.
Linear LED Fixture Price Over Time
- In 2012, Cree introduced a LED linear fixture for industrial lighting called the LED linear luminaire.
- In 2012, a LED linear fixture luminaire cost $155/klm.
- In 2013, the typical cost of a LED linear luminaire fixture was $91/klm.
- The typical price of an LED linear fixture at the conclusion of 2014 was $53/klm.
- In 2015, the typical cost of a LED linear luminaire fixture was $43/klm.
- In 2016, the typical cost of a LED linear luminaire fixture was $30/klm.
- In January 2020, the price of a NaturaLed Linear Luminaire unit (3200 Lumens) can be found for $41.79, which is $13.06/klm.
Searching industrial retail websites such as GSAadvantage.gov, Amazon.com or Homedepot.com only provided current pricing figures. Searching LED industrial sources such as ledsmagazine.com provided information on market trends, however no specific pricing figures for previous dates were available. By searching one of the largest LED lighting manufacturers, such as GE, it was possible to find product specifications, however specific pricing per unit was unavailable to the public.
The US Department of Energy publishes a series of reports, such as Adoption of Light-Emitting Diodes in Common Lighting Applications, which provides an analysis of the LED light sector in the United States. The closest data for the price of an LED unit was given in dollars/kilo lumen. These reports only continue through 2017, so it was not possible to get specific pricing for 2017, 2018 or 2019 that was publicly available.
To estimate the price for 2019, a search was performed for the current retail price of a linear luminaire LED fixture in January 2020. In order to better compare the pricing for the data available, one can calculate the dollar/kilo lumen figure for the cost of the unit in January 2020. One can then divide the cost per unit $41.79 by the number of kilo lumens (3200/1000 = 3.2klm) as such: $41.79/3.2 klm = $13.06/klm.