Liao Family and Businesses
Wanlong Liao, known as the Tungston King of Taiwan, has three daughters and one son. In 2010, his company CB Carbide went into a joint venture with CERATIZIT Group. The Group acquired a 50% stake in CB Carbide. He also created a boutique hotel, InHouse hotel in 2012 in Ximending. Pepi Liao is the second daughter of Wanlong Liao and she currently, works as the COO of the InHouse Hotel and has been involved in the aesthetic decision-making of the hotel. Most of the media coverage and public sentiments about Pepi Liao and Wanlong Liao were positive with a few negative press coverage about Pepi Liao where she was found drunk in media.
The Global Emanuel Business Association Club was started in 2007 with a mission to raise money to help "bring Jewish people back to their homeland." The Association was started by religious leaders from "the Church, private industry, the political world, and innovators from all industries."
I. LIAO FAMILY — SUMMARY OF MEDIA ARTICLES
Pepi Liao — Summary of Media Articles:
1. "In the Lap of Luxury at *inhouse Hotel"
- The article was published by City 543 on March 5, 2013.
- This is regarding an interview with Pepi Liao where she discussed her inhouse Hotel, its lavish design including exterior and interior design of the hotel, and various other aspects of the inhouse hotel.
2. "Staying in Style"
- The article included Pepi Liao's interview published by Taiwan Today on June 1, 2013.
- In her interview, Pepi discussed her role in InHouse hotel, Taipei’s most popular spots for travelers, and also compared InHouse hotel with some other hotels of Ximending.
3. "His daughter drunk on the media but he responded like this"
- The article was published by Yahoo highlighting a negative press release by Mirror Weekly.
- This is regarding Pepi Liao's drunk and drive case and the response that her father gave to media.
- This article also mentioned that after that incident, Pepi Liao "changed to a driver to pick up and drop-in, and devoted herself to real estate and hotel operations."
4. "Second Generation Takes Over the Hotel Industry One Lesson for Daughters to Learn"
- The Mirror Media article published on January 17, 2018, highlighting the importance of succession of the second generation in business in the Liao family.
- The article also mentioned that for any important decision-making, Pepi Liao has to take her father's opinion and she still has to share the financial figures with his father.
Wanlong Liao — Summary of Media Articles:
1. "His daughter drunk on the media but he responded like this" —
- The article was published by Mirror Media on January 17, 2018.
- The article is related to negative publicity and mentioned Wanlong Liao's response to his daughter Pepi Liao's media appearance.
- The article mentioned that "after 40 years in business, Liao Wanlong (right) has gone through the storm, facing his daughter (left) drunk driving to the media, and frankly responds: "It is a bad example."
2. "90% of hotel guests have the secret to open a restaurant here" —
- This is another article published by Mirror Media on January 17, 2018.
- According to the article "the small profit operation and the devil details allow Liao Wanlong's boutique hotels to maintain a 90% housing rate in the northern part of the industrial winter."
3. "Female Treasury "Secret Line" exposed! The Tungsten King breaks the attack on Tai Xiang" —
- The article was published by Mirror Media on SETN.com on April 25, 2019.
- According to the article, "a female company director of the technology company had alleged that the two had been in close contact with each other and there was a "secret hotline" between them."
4. "薆悅集團總裁廖萬隆・打造完美旅館的秘訣：「不要為失敗找理由，要為成功找方法。」" (
Liao Wanlong, President of Moët & Co. Group's secret to build the perfect hotel: "Don't find a reason for failure, but a way to success.)
- The article was published by Dong An St. on June 27, 2019.
- According to the article, Liao Wanlong is known as the "Taiwan King of Tungsten Steel."
- In Asia, Liao Wanlong is said to have the "largest tungsten steel field."
- The article mentioned that "in 2011, Liao Wanlong announced his involvement in the hotel business in Taiwan, but today, eight years later, he proves that even if he was not born in the hotel industry, he can move the tungsten steel business philosophy to the hotel industry and create his own day."
- Liao Peiling "went abroad to study at the age of eight, and had an American style, following the laborious "buffalo spirit" His father Liao Wanlong naturally had different ideas."
- Liao Peiling (Pepi Liao) is Liao Wanlong's second daughter who is the "head of real estate and hotel business."
- Liao Peiling admitted in a media release, "I made a mistake. When I took over the business, the house price was set too low, and the marketing cost was too high, which caused an imbalance in profit and loss. Realize the details of the operation."
- In her interview with City 543, Pepi explained about her inHouse hotel that "it is more than just a pretty hotel–it’s a building that lives and breathes its neighborhood, the bustling Ximending district, home to Taipei’s first pedestrian-only shopping zone, some of its earliest theaters, and several remnants of Japanese culture."
- Along with the CEO Ted SU, Pepi Liao took all the "aesthetic decisions" related to the *inhouse hotel that went into its interior design.
- Pepi Liao is the Chief Operations Officer at 薆悅酒店 台北-Inhouse Hotel Taipei, Director at 春保森拉天時鎢鋼, and the CEO at Global EMBA Club.
- She studied at the University of Manchester and lives in Taipei, Taiwan.
- According to Mirror Media, "after 40 years in business, Liao Wanlong (right) has gone through the storm, facing his daughter (left) drunk driving to the media, and frankly responds: "It is a bad example."
- Liao Wanlong has "50 billion yuan in annual revenue" but he decided to focus on "his business career, and insists on not going public and maintaining family business succession."
- Liao Wanlong is 70 years old, has four children; three daughters and one son. He is the "president of the Chunbao Sen Latimer Tungsten Steel Group" and popular as "tungsten steel king" in Taiwan.
- According to Liao Wanlong "young people like to buy expensive things, but the most expensive ones are not necessarily the best; the pace of business must be adjusted slowly, not quickly; there is also a shot too fast, you need to know how to shop around."
- Liao Wanlong is the president of the "Taiwan Council for Industrial and Commercial Development."
- Liao Wanlong is the Chairman of CB Carbide." According to Wan Lung Liao, “CB Carbide has excellent market positioning in Asia, combined with CERATIZIT’s outstanding technological knowledge and global presence, this joint venture will create exceptional value for all our customers. The joint venture company will focus to grow the Asian market while benefiting from CERATIZIT sales network in Europe and US.”
II. EMANUEL BUSINESS ASSOCIATION AND CB-CERATIZIT
Emanuel Business Association — Lines of Business:
- The Global Emanuel Business Association Club was started in 2007.
- In Israel, "Christians and Jews around the world were working together to raise money for an important cause — to bring Jewish people back to their homeland."
- This mission was started by "a broad spectrum of religious leaders from the Church, private industry, the political world, and innovators from all industries." to help "fulfill this Biblical prophecy."
- Emanuel Business Association operated with a mission "to connect like-minded people from around the world," through their "main hub in Israel, who want to share our resources to grow their businesses and drive innovation."
- It has offices across the world and in each area, there is a Local Club that "identifies members’ needs and provides personalized service."
- Israel and the international network of the association provide members who have common interests in the fields of business, entrepreneurship, investment, technologies, and others.
- Emanuel Business Association is a "global network platform" that offers "total solutions and upgrades" for its members’ in all industries.
- The association provides "transparent and direct information" to its members as per their individual needs.
- Its member industries are media, retail, construction, cybersecurity, transportation, real estate, finance, manufacturing, energy, healthcare, AI, and agriculture.
Emanuel Business Association — Summary of Media Articles:
- An extensive search through the public domain did not provide any media or news articles related to Emanuel Business Association.
- Its official website has two news articles in the Latin language about its 'Launch' event and about 'Amsterdam Visit'.
Emanuel Business Association — Members
- Eliezer (Moodi) Sandberg is the founder of the Emanuel Business Association.
- He operates as the Member of Israel Economic Cabinet, Deputy Minister of Education, Culture & Sport, Minister of Science & Technology, Minister of National Infrastructure, Member of Knesset, The Jewish Agency's Board of Governors, World Chairman of Karen Hayesod, and World Chairman of Global Emanuel Business Association Club.
- No other member's information was made available to the public. However, the page has a group picture at the bottom that includes Liao family members including Pepi Liao, her father (Wanlong Liao), and her mother.
CB-CERATIZIT — Lines of Business:
- CB-CERATIZIT founded in 1973, is the Taiwanese carbide manufacturer and since 2010, it is part of the CERATIZIT Group.
- CB-CERATIZIT is the joint venture of CERATIZIT Group to particularly tap into the Asian market.
- CB-CERATIZIT is considered to be the "second-largest carbide manufacturer in China and Taiwan."
- There are over 1,700 employees in CB-CERATIZIT that include employees at 14 sales subsidiaries and seven production sites.
- The company is "specialized in the production of carbide rods, industrial wear parts, high-quality cutting tools and solutions for wood and stone working."
- CB-CERATIZIT not only offers "global production and technological supports" to its clients but it also provides localized services.
- According to a press release on June 10, 2010, CERATIZIT Group has "acquired a 50-percent stake in carbide manufacturer CB Carbide."
- The deal ensures that now, 25% of the sale of CERATIZIT Group will come from Asia.
- Under this deal, the two companies CERATIZIT and CB Carbide are "merging their existing Asian manufacturing and sales activities (without India)" and forming a new holding company, CB-CERATIZIT Luxembourg SA.
- The press release also disclosed that "CERATIZIT and the shareholders of CB Carbide will each hold a 50-percent stake in the joint venture."
CB-CERATIZIT — Summary of Media Articles:
1. "CB-Ceratizit is a cut above the rest at TIMTOS 2019" —
- The article was published by MTD CNC on August 21, 2019.
- It discussed the TIMTOS 2019 event that mentioned Peng Kee Ooi's talks to Colin Griffiths of MTDCNC about the products they are presenting at TIMTOS 2019.
2. "PCD MILLING TOOLS FROM CERATIZIT: THE HARDCORE SOLUTIONS"
- The article was published by the Northwest Aerospace Alliance on October 15, 2019.
- It discussed the "new range of PCD tools" introduced by CERATIZIT that "delivers maximum efficiency when processing non-ferrous metals and fibre-reinforced plastics."
- It has a "pioneering tool features" ensuring "a long tool life and reliable processes."
3. "Asia's competitive supplier will showcase robs & preforms, cutting solutions at SIMM 2019"
- The article was published on January 30, 2019, in SIMM Time.
- It discussed CB-CERATIZIT's appearance at SIMM 2019.
- According to the article "CB-CERATIZIT is the most competent and competitive supplier of carbide hard material in Asia with headquarter in Taiwan."
4. "Join Toolmaker Solutions by CERATIZIT and CB-CERATIZIT at CIFM 2017 Guangzhou"
- The article was published by ePR News on March 16, 2017.
- It discussed CIFM (China International Furniture Machinery & Furniture Raw Materials Fair) 2017 which is "Asia’s largest and most influential furniture production and woodworking trade fair."
- The article mentioned that "throughout the event Toolmaker Solutions by CERATIZIT (link to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiPZRV_B8cY) and CB-CERATIZIT will be showcasing a comprehensive product portfolio for wood machining."
5. "ITES, A Gathering Place of World-class Brands to Lead the Smart Factory Revolution"
- The article was published by PicataneToday on November 1, 2019.
- It discussed "the 21st Shenzhen International Machinery Manufacturing Industry Exhibition" that was scheduled on March 30th to April 2nd, 2020 to be organized in Shenzhen World Exhibition & Convention Center (SW).
- Among 12 exhibition halls at ITES 2020, CB-Ceratizit was in Tools & Industrial Consumable (Hall 1/2).
III. MEDIA COVERAGE AND PUBLIC SENTIMENTS
1. PEPI LIAO SOCIAL MEDIA COVERAGE AND PUBLIC SENTIMENTS:
Pepi Liao — Facebook Profile:
- Pepi has 792 friends on Facebook including five family members.
- She has shared a number of photos on Facebook that include event photos at Hôtel de Paris Monte-Carlo, photos with her son, friends, and others. She has also shared various photos of nature and wild animals as well.
- All the posts at her timeline are positive including New Year post, her son, post about 'Israel as a tech capital about the world', raffling with her son, post about her father as her 'role model', posts about the event that she attended at Hôtel de Paris Monte-Carlo, and others.
- Many posts at her timeline include her family members, mostly her son — Richard, father — Liao Wanlong, and her mother.
Pepi Liao — LinkedIn Profile:
- According to her LinkedIn profile, since January 2010, Pepi Liao works as CFO at InHouse hotel.
- Currently, she is the COO at InHouse hotel, Taipei City, Taiwan.
- She has 138 connections in her LinkedIn profile.
Pepi Liao — Twitter Profile:
- Pepi Liao has no profile on Twitter.
Pepi Liao — Instagram Profile:
- Pepi Liao has no profile on Instagram.
2. WANLONG LIAO SOCIAL MEDIA COVERAGE AND PUBLIC SENTIMENTS:
Wanlong Liao — Facebook Profile:
- Wanlong Liao has only three friends at his Facebook profile.
- He has not posted anything on his Facebook page. He had last updated his Facebook profile picture on May 20, 2013.
- There has been no activity on his Facebook profile after May 20, 2013.
Wanlong Liao — LinkedIn Profile:
- Wanlong Liao has no profile on LinkedIn.
Wanlong Liao — Twitter Profile:
- Wanlong Liao has no profile on Twitter.
Wanlong Liao — Instagram Profile:
- Wanlong Liao has no profile on Instagram.
3. EMANUEL BUSINESS ASSOCIATION SOCIAL MEDIA COVERAGE AND PUBLIC SENTIMENTS:
- Emanuel Business Association does not have any social media profile by its name as 'Emanuel Business Association' on any of the social media platforms including LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.
- However, the official website of the Emanuel Business Association contains Facebook and Twitter logos. The Facebook logo led to the Facebook profile of RV Exclusive that is into 'nation networking'.
- RV Exclusive posted a few event photographs on October 1, 2019, related to the 'Emanuel Business Association'.
- The post reads "May 15th, 2019 invited by Dr. Arleen Westerhof, CEO Economic Summit to the launching dinner of Emanuel Business Association in Marriott Hotel in Amsterdam...."
- No other relevant posts were found.
- Also, the Twitter logo at the Emanuel Business Association's website led to its own 'Home' page.
ADDITIONAL NEWS OR MEDIA COVERAGE
Pepi Liao — Media Coverage:
1. Mirror Media
- Mirror Media highlighted the succession of the second generation in business in the Liao family.
- However, Pepi Liao still has to share the financial figures with his father, Wanlong Liao and take his father's opinion in any important decision-making.
2. Taiwan Today
- Taiwan Today published Pepi Liao's interview in 2013.
- The interview was published on June 1, 2013.
- Pepi discussed her role in InHouse Hotel, "a boutique hotel that opened in Ximending in May 2012."
3. City 543
- City 543 published an interview with Pepi Liao on March 5, 2013, where she discussed the aesthetics of the inHouse hotel.
- The interview was mainly focused over inHouse hotel, its exterior, interior, decision-making, and other relevant characteristics related to the hotel.
- Yahoo published a press release by Mirror Weekly on January 17, 2018, highlighting a negative press coverage about Pepi Liao that she found drunk in the media and how her father, Wanlong Liao responded on this.
Wanlong Liao — Media Coverage:
1. Mirror Media
- Mirror Media published an article on January 1, 2018, mentioning the succession of the second generation of the Liao family.
- Wanlong Liao started the business from scratch and have some conflicts with the "successor second generation."
2. The Big Game
- An article published by The Big Game mentioned about Xi Jinping and Liao Wanlong that "the one who might best sum up Xi Jinping in those years in the provinces is Taiwanese businessman Liao Wanlong, who knew Xi during his role in Fujian. "He spoke only when he had something to say and really it was not empty promises. He thinks carefully before he opened his mouth"
- The news article was published by SETN.com on April 25, 2019, mentioned about Liao Wanlong, "a member of the Kuomintang Central Standing Committee, known as the "tungsten steel king."
- The magazine disclosed Liao that "a female company director of the technology company had alleged that the two had been in close contact with each other and there was a "secret hotline" between them."
- Liao "refused to meet and asked to get 18 million investment funds back."
- His wife "went straight to the female director's residence to confess her sins, and the relationship between the two friends was broken."
4. The New Yorker
- An article was published by The New Yorker on April 1, 2015, 'Born Red' about "how Xi Jinping, an unremarkable provincial administrator, became China’s most authoritarian leader since Mao."
- The article mentioned about Xi Jinping and Liao Wanlong that "not long after he arrived, he met Liao Wanlong, a Taiwanese businessman, who recalled, “He was tall and stocky, and he looked a little dopey.” Liao, who has visited Xi repeatedly in the decades since, told me, “He appeared to be guileless, honest."
5. All China Federation of Industry & Commerce
- A news article was published by the organization (All China Federation of Industry & Commerce) on June 11, 2015.
- According to the articles, Li Lu, ACFIC Vice-Chairman "met with a delegation of the Taiwan Business Construction Institute led by its Director-general Liao Wanlong in Beijing on June 8."
- Liao addressed the Institute and that "a social group founded under the sponsorship of the Kuomintang Party, has played a proactive role in spurring cross-Strait exchange of various circles. He stressed that it is willing to tighten cooperation with ACFIC and make continuous contribution to cross-Strait exchange and economic development."
6. Power Metallurgy Review
- Power Metallurgy Review included Wanlong Liao's comments on the deal of CB Carbide with CERATIZIT Group that happened in 2010.
- Wanlong Liao is the Chairman of CB Carbide and the deal involved the joint venture of the two companies CB Carbide and CERATIZIT Group and introduced another subsidiary called CB CERATIZIT.
Emanuel Business Association — Media Coverage:
- Although a search for news articles about the Association could not lead to any relevant article, the official website of the Emanuel Business Association has two news articles.
- One news article is about the 'Launch' event and the other one is about 'Amsterdam Visit'.
- These news articles are in the Latin language.
Articles and members about the Emanuel Business Association:
For the Emanuel Business Association, we were able to provide information on its business line and member industries. However, regarding the information about its members, the association's website only provided its founder's name and the positions he handles. No information was provided on any other members of the association, available if any! However, we found the Liao family's picture at the bottom of the page illustrating their connection with the Emanuel Business Association.
To confirm this, we also searched through media articles to see if it could lead to any information on Liao family member's connection with Emanuel Business Association. While searching through various media articles, we did not find the desired information and the search could hardly provide any relevant article. We also tried to look for press releases of news articles by Emanuel Business Association's website as well as other news outlets to see if they could provide the desired information. But again hardly any relevant article was found. The Emanuel Business Association's news page had only two news articles (launch event and Amsterdam visit). Therefore, it was established that either Emanuel Business Association has only one member, its founder Eliezer (Moodi) Sandberg or the association is yet to disclose its members publicly or on its website.
As discussed above, none of the media or news articles or press releases cover any information on Emanuel Business Association, we could only found the two news articles published on its own website. Therefore, we could not provide a summary of its relevant media articles.
Media coverage and public Sentiments about Pepi Liao, Wanlong Liao, and Emanuel Business Association:
Initially, the research team focused on social media platforms to get the information on social media coverage and public sentiments about Pepi Liao, Wanlong Liao, and Emanuel Business Association through various social media platforms Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. We were able to locate the publicly available social media profiles of Pepi Liao (LinkedIn and Facebook)and Wanlong Liao (Facebook); however, Emanuel Business Association did not seem to have a social media account in any of the above-listed platforms. To confirm this, we looked through its official website as most of the organizations provide a link to their social media profiles on their websites (logo). The official website of the Emanuel Business Association had two links for Twitter and Facebook pages. Although its Twitter link led to the Association's own 'Home' page, its Facebook link led to RV Exclusive's Facebook page where the launch party of the Association was organized. While searching for RV Exclusive, we were able to learn that RV Exclusive is into 'nation networking'. The Facebook page had one post related to the 'Emanuel Business Association' that we included in our research. No other relevant posts were found. While searching through other social media platforms publicly, we did not find the social media profiles of the Emanuel Business Association.
While searching, we also tried the 'Emanuel Business Association' in various languages including Chinese (Mandarin), Latin, etc. The idea was to see if the language search strategy can give any different results and might be able to show up any social media account of the 'Emanuel Business Association' that was not coming up while searching only in English. But this strategy also failed and we were not able to trace any of the publicly available social media accounts of 'Emanuel Business Association.'
Next, the research team looked for the news platforms to get news articles or media examples covering Pepi Liao, Wanlong Liao, and Emanuel Business Association. We looked through different traditional media news outlets but did not locate any relevant news articles. The search results included Emanuel Society (Emanuel School), link to a book — Emanuel Law Outlines...., Emanuel Adam, the Executive Director of BritishAmerican Business, and others. But it did not include any article about 'Emanuel Business Association.' A search for other news articles in other languages (Chinese) also could not lead to any result. However, we found two news articles on Emanuel Business Association's website in the Latin language that we included in our research.
For Liao Wanlong and Pepi Liao, while looking for 4-5 different traditional media news outlets and provide multiple examples of their coverage in each of the platforms and outlets, we were able to obtain a few of the recently published articles mentioning them. However, as not many of the articles were recently published, to provide a comprehensive report that includes atleast 4-5 different media news outlets, we had to include some articles published beyond the past two years. Please note that a search through traditional media news outlets such as Forbes, CNBC, The New York Times, and others was not successful, as they did not cover Liao family; however, news sites, magazines, and other media articles in Taiwanese, Chinese, etc. provided information or interviews about Liao family.