Lead Generation Content Best Practices, Part 1
Two best practices found for creating engaging, effective lead generation content for B2B organizations include creating useful content that informs and educates or answers and deals with questions and problems, as well as targeting keywords and utilizing SEO best practices in all posts and throughout the website.
Create Useful Content
- Research from Cision found that compared to traditional advertisements, 70% of internet users learn through content before buying a product.
- Another study by CSO Insights found that 70% of B2B buyers actually prefer self-education early on in the buyers process, again revealing how B2B buying decisions are less and less made through advertisements that inform consumers about products.
- Creating content that answers questions and solves problems is considered a best practice when it comes to useful lead generation content, as internet users at the beginning or top of the search funnel are usually looking for content that helps them in some way. Educating users through articles that are informative, with social posts, blogs, and infographics about industry related topics, along with answering frequently asked questions and solving common problems, are all top priorities for lead generation content.
- Marketinsider states that when creators publish valuable content that educates, informs, and entertains, user loyalty and trust is then gained, making it easier to convert leads.
- Frequency of content publishing is also an important consideration, as consistent quality blog posts show commitment to providing users with valuable content that addresses their issues. A study by Hubspot found that companies who publish 16 or more blog posts per month generated leads up to 4.5 times more than those that post only 0-4 posts each month, and further found that 47% of B2B buyers rely on this content for making purchasing decisions.
- Ensuring that each post is of high-quality content and addressing the challenges and pain points of customers are key to the retention and converting of website visitors into buyers. Also, posting frequently allows new relevant keywords to be used and targeted, driving more targeted traffic to a company site.
Targeting Keywords and SEO
- Targeting keywords throughout the search funnel process is also a key best practice for lead generating content. Initially, navigational keywords are words used to find a specific website or piece of information, and thus the targeting of these key terms can help users find material about a company or their services and products. Informational keywords are words used in a search when one is trying to find information, advice, and answers to questions.
- Companies like Alexa offer products such as a Keyword Difficulty Tool that helps users identify the best keywords that will likely bring the most targeted audience to a website. By simply entering a key term related to the product or service, the company tool will generate a list of other suggested keywords to use, with each keyword having a score for relevance, popularity, and competition, (to help identify terms that the competition uses) along with those that will most probably connect with an audience.
- Tools such as Google Analytics are also used to discover hidden keywords by looking at the long-tail traffic coming to a website. Long-tail keywords are those that are 3 words or longer that are very specific and usually get very low search volumes, though they convert well because of the specific intent behind the keywords. (e.g. "Buy Organic Hemp Clothing")
- Optimizing an entire website for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is also considered a best practice for lead generation through content as it makes sure the website shows up when searches are placed for any related phrases and brand terms. An optimized SEO website will help the site appear ahead of competitor listings, thus drawing in much more traffic.
- The company Alexa also offers an SEO Audit Tool for companies to see if they are in fact using the best SEO practices, by reviewing their site and giving a detailed report on SEO strategy, as well as recommending steps that can be taken to improve and fix issues.
- The importance of utilizing SEO in order to be optimally placed on a search engine list is seen in the fact that on the first page of Google alone, the first five search results (not ads) account for 67.60% of all clicks.