Kids Learning Resources: Popular TV
Seven popular television shows for children between the ages three to seven are Peppa Pig, Spongebob Squarepants, PJ Masks, Paw Patrol, Masha And The Bear, Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir, and Steven Universe.
- Peppa Pig is a preschool animated TV series. The show revolves around the adventures and mishaps of Peppa, her family, and peers.
- The main characters in Peppa Pig is Peppa, George, Mummy Piggy, and Daddy Piggy.
- Peppa Pig is lovable but bossy. She is four-years-old and "lives with Mummy Pig, Daddy Pig, and her little brother George. Peppa likes "jumping up and down in muddy puddles, laughing and making loud snorting noises."
- Mummy Pig works from home on her computer and "likes jumping up and down in muddy puddles almost as much as Peppa."
- Daddy Pig enjoys playing with Peppa Pig and George. Daddy Pig can be grumpy sometimes "when he can’t remember where he put his glasses."
- George is Peppa Pig's little brother who is 18-months-old. He loves playing with his big sister, Peppa.
- According to Nickelodeon, SpongeBob SquarePants is about "the misadventures of a talking sea sponge who works at a fast-food restaurant, attends a boating school, and lives in an underwater pineapple."
- Spongebob Squarepants is a yellow sea sponge "who lives in a furnished pineapple house with his pet snail Gary. He works as a fry cook at a fast-food restaurant called the Krusty Krab and diligently attends Mrs. Puff's Boating School. He is relentlessly optimistic and cheerful."
- Patrick Star is Spongebob's best friend; he is a pink starfish who lives under a rock. Patrick is known for being foolish and dimwitted.
- Squidward Tentacles is Spongebob's and Patrick's neighbor. He is a pessimistic octopus who loves playing the clarinet. He is also Spongebob's co-worker at the Krusty Krab, working there as a cashier.
- PJ Masks is about three children who turn to superheroes at night. A common theme in the show would be a problem arising in the school-day and the subsequent capture of the culprit by the PJ Masks at night. PJ Masks would work together to solve and overcome problems by sharing ideas.
- Catboy is incredibly fast and agile, with the ability to hear faint sounds across unbelievable distances. When adventure calls, Catboy would leap to the rescue.
- Owlette has super eyesight and is able to fly. Her unique ability is that "when she flaps her powerful wings, the baddies are sent flying."
- Gekko is strong, sticky, as well as a master of camouflage. He is usually prepared to dive in the face of danger to save the day.
- Paw Patrol focuses on a boy named Ryder who leads a crew of search-and-rescue dogs called the Paw Patrol; they would work together on missions.
- Paw Patrol's main characters based on number of appearances are Skye, Rubble, and Rocky, and Ryder.
- Ryder is the leader, rescuer as well as the teacher of the Paw Patrol. He has a strong heart as well as a strong spirit.
- Skye is a smart and fearless Cockapoo "who loves to fly in her helicopter or with the wings in her pup pack. She tries everything with a backflip, grace, and a smile."
- Rubble is a lovable English bulldog "that knows all about skateboards and snowboards. He loves to get dirty then jump into a bath. There's no job Rubble's construction digger can't scoop up."
- Rocky is a male mixed-breed Eco pup and uses "recycled items to fix broken objects such as water towers and soccer goals."
Masha And The Bear
- Masha and the Bear is a show that "focuses on the adventures of a little girl named Masha and a fatherly bear that always keeps her from disasters."
- Masha is a six-year-old girl who is hyperactive and frequently thinks about playing.
- The Bear is a retired circus bear who settled into the woods who was preparing for a quiet life up until he met the adventurous Masha.
Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
- Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir is a pleasant superhero story for tweens set in Paris.
- Marinette Dupain-Cheng, also known as Ladybug, is a student in Paris and a budding fashion designer who aims to have her own brand someday.
- Adrien Agreste, also known as Catnoir, is one of the titular two main protagonists of the show. "With his magical ring, inhabited by a Kwami (divine beings) named Plagg, he has the power of bad luck and can transform into the superhero Cat Noir."
- The synopsis of Steven Universe is as follows — "A team of intergalactic warriors fights to protect the universe, but the combination of three highly trained beings and one quirky young boy leaves the team struggling to overcome the dangerous scenarios that are put in front of them.
- Steven Universe is the main protagonist of the TV show. He is devoted to helping those in need as well as protecting humanity.
- Pearl is a member of the Crystal Gems. She is "one of the last surviving Gems on Earth who joined the Crystal Gems in their rebellion against the Gem Homeworld."
- Garnet is the "current de facto leader of the Crystal Gems."
- Amethyst is another member of the Crystal Gems. After being discovered by Rose Quartz and the other Crystal Gems, "Amethyst helped her friends protect the Earth over the next four millennia, and often aids in the shenanigans of Steven Universe."
For the purpose of this research, we'd like to define the term "popular television shows" as television shows that are in-demand, backed up by quantitative data. We began our research by looking for news articles, surveys, and consumer research reports. We leveraged, specifically, Parrot Analytics, as one of the key resources we've obtained data from. According to their LinkedIn page, "Parrot Analytics is the leading global content demand analytics company for the multi-platform TV business." Using this strategy, we were able to obtain several pieces of key information. After further extensive research, we were able to locate and leverage a research study that took into consideration factors such as social media, video interaction, piracy numbers, and online research to determine which kids' shows are in-demand globally. After we have identified a few candidates through the aforementioned resource, we further narrowed down the list to the ones that matches the criteria that we're looking for. We then cross-referenced each television show that we have shortlisted and corroborated them with third-party websites to establish that the shows we have selected are intended to be viewed by children between the ages three to seven. We then synthesized the information we came across and curated the list as shown above.