Competitive Landscape - Steve Madden and Johnston & Murphy: Columns J and K
Steve Madden is a public company that supplies footwear, handbags, and accessories, which is sold in more than 80 countries globally. The Johnston & Murphy Group is well-known brand providing footwear in the United States for over 150 years with a market share of 0.35%. The requested details for each company are available in rows three through eight, columns J through K of the attached spreadsheet.
- Steve Madden is an exemplary footwear label that has transformed the shoe sector by consolidating years of expertise with imaginative designs that empowers individuality and are veritable. It has augmented to a preposterous destination for accessories, handbags, and footwear. Steve Madden's products are sold in more than 80 nations around the globe.
- The wholesale footwear segment consists of owned brands such as: Blondo®, Steve Madden Women's®, Steve Madden Men's®, Madden®, Dolce Vita®, B Brian Atwood®, DV by Dolce Vita®, Mad Love®, Steven by Steve Madden®, Report®, Betsey Johnson®, Madden Girl®, Betseyville®, Steve Madden Kids®, Madden NYC, FREEBIRD by Steven®, and Stevies®.
- The company is currently the licensee some footwear labels, such as Avec Les Filles Superga, Kate Spade, and Olsenboye Anne Klein.
- Market Share: 1.93% in 2018 [Calculations available in the Research Strategy section]
- Company Size: 3,900 employees
- Company Structure: Publicly-held
- Its products are advertised through e-commerce sites, its retail stores, along with major department stores, better department stores, mid-tier department stores, luxury retailers, specialty stores, and online and catalog retailers, among other establishments.
- Its private trademarked footwear is sold through mass market merchants and mid-tier chains.
JOHNSTON & MURPHY
- For over 150 years, Johnston & Murphy has satisfied the footwear requirements of scrupulous professional males with relevant styling, high-level craftsmanship, superior quality materials. The company presents footwear for casual, dress casual, and dress circumstances. It continued its dedication to innovation, craftsmanship, and style by revealing a brand-new selection of shoes, leather goods and accessories for women in the year 2008.
- Brands: Johnston & Murphy, H.S. Trask
- Market Share: 0.35% in 2018 [Calculations available in the Research Strategy section]
- Company Size: 535 employees
- Company Structure: Public-held business
- Its products are available in company-owned retail establishments within outlets, airports, and better malls throughout the United States. Additionally, Johnston & Murphy sells its merchandise via a direct mail catalog and an e-commerce store on its website, as well as through specialty and department establishments internationally and across the United States.
- The company's women's and men's wholesale operations for accessories and footwear are mostly sold to e-commerce stores, independent specialty locations, and better department stores.
- Furthermore, it provides access to H.S. Trask, under the Johnston & Murphy Group with leather accessories and footwear supplied chiefly through department stores, an e-commerce site, catalog, better independent retailers, and the Trask website.
Our research began by analyzing the company website and annual reports to obtain insights on the company. With this research strategy, we were able to find information for an overview of the brands. We then examined the annual reports to get the companies' structure, size, and key channel details and to acquire revenue details to get the market share. According to their annual filings with the SEC, Steve Madden and Johnston & Murphy are both public traded companies.
Key channel details were readily available in the annual reports for both the companies. For Steve Madden, we found the company size (i.e the employee count details) from its 2018 annual report. Johnston & Murphy is a subsidiary of Genesco, so the employee count was not accounted separately for them. Hence, we have taken the employee count details from the company profile on Zoom Info to estimate the company size.
To determine their market share as part of the total footwear market, we applied the following computations:
U.S. footwear market size in 2018 - $85.45 billion. [As determined during the strategy phase]
Market share of Steve Madden in 2018 -(($1.65 billion/$85.45 billion)*100) = 1.93%
Johnston & Murphy
Market share of Johnston & Murphy in 2018 - ((0.3/85.45)*100) = 0.35%