Recommendation Platform Analysis (1)
Blinked was founded in 2014 by Julie Benlevi and its headquarters is located in the Greater New York Area. According to Angel List, in 2016-2017 the company raised $1 million in funding during the Seed round and was valuated at $10 million. On the attached spreadsheet, in columns C-E the requested information on Kit, Hansel, and Blinked can be found.
- Kit was founded in 2015 by Camille Hearst, Naveen Selvadurai, Will Chiong. Its headquarters are located in the Greater New York Area. The company received about $2.5 million in funding from the Seed round in 2016 and had an estimated revenue of $1 million.
- One of Kit's key features is the product or creator search bar at the top of its website where people can paste a link of the product from any website or search for the product. Once found, people can write a few words on why they recommend a product and what they like about it.
- The company generates revenue by leveraging the data generated from user recommendations and earns from affiliate marketing fees and its subscription model.
- One of Kit's competitive advantages is that, unlike some of its competitors who give anonymous recommendations, Kit offers its users recommendations from trusted sources such as famous bloggers, vloggers or Instagrammers. The name and kit recommendation, as well as the name of the creators, are published on the site.
- Anthony and Phil Sprawls founded Hansel in 2018 because, as fathers, they wanted to get the best gear for their children. Its headquarters is located in the Greater Los Angeles Area along the West Coast of the U.S.
- One of Hansel's key features is that it requires users to register on the platform first via a question in typeform, answer some questions, and insert their email address. Afterward, users can access lists from their friends or follow other users to access their recommendations.
- Hansel's business model involves its partnership with Amazon. It generates revenue from Amazon's affiliate program and allows users to track their friend's or other people's purchases on Amazon and shop directly for the products.
- One of Hansel's competitive advantages is that it has a partnership with Amazon and it can track the past purchases of users and the people that the users want to correlate with, the items and the details of what these people bought on Amazon.
- Blinked was founded in 2014 by Julie Benlevi and its headquarters is located in the Greater New York Area along the East Coast of the U.S. According to Angel List, in 2016-2017 the company raised $1 million in funding during the Seed round and was valuated at $10 million.
- One of the key features of Blinked is that it provides purely editorial, curated recommendation lists from the user's favorite experts and influencer which need to be purchased the same way songs are purchased from iTunes.
- Blinked uses a blockchain business model with an incentive scheme. It leverages data from user recommendations, marketing fees from brands, and targeted ads with a token incentive model.
- Blinked's competitive advantage is that it differs from other platforms because its recommendations are curated from magazines, newspapers, friends, sites, brands, personalities, and celebrities. Users can get recommendations from their favorite influencers, who can earn 50% commission for a product sold. Even no-paid recommendation are permitted.
In our research, we leveraged information on the companies' official websites, business profile databases (such as Crunchbase and ZoomInfo) and news sites (such as Tech Crunch).