Coating Industry; Startups (Part 1)
Flite Material Sciences is a privately held company founded in 2010. Its headquarters are located in Montréal, Quebec. The company has raised a total funding amount of CA$180,000.
Flite Material Sciences Corp - Company Overview
- Flite Material Sciences is a privately held company "advancing a technology that renders the surface of materials superhydrophobic, hydrophilic, oleophobic or oleophilic without the use of chemical coatings."
- The company is headquartered in Montréal, Quebec and has 2-10 employees.
- Flite Material Sciences Corp was founded in 2010 and serves companies in the oil and gas, aerospace, food and beverage, medical device, and semiconductors manufacturers.
- The company was incorporated on 5th April 2018 and have raised pre-seed funding round worth CA$180,000 on 10th September 2017.
- The company leverages a femtosecond laser technology to grant ordinary materials such as glass, metal, plastic, semiconductors, and ceramics additional permanent properties.
- According to the company, "the technique of using a Femtosecond Laser to reshape the surface layer of materials was at the University of Rochester, New York. In 2019, Flite secured the worldwide, exclusive rights to commercialize this methodology."
- A significant advantage of the technology is the fact that the material's surface maintains its strengths; Also, there are no toxic chemicals added or any adhesion problems.
- A link to the pictorial illustration of the surface changing process is here.
- Various benefits of using Flite's technology include improved performance, reduced manufacturing and maintenance costs, reduced ice and snow, oil isolation, auto-sterilization, and an environmentally friendly solution.
Awards and Grants
- Flite Material Sciences Corp is a member of the 2019 class of the Air Force Accelerator Program. Members are to receive a grant in the tune of $200 million.
- Dan Cohen is the founder and chief executive officer of Flite Material Sciences Corp.
- Ogan Gurel is a co-founder and the company's chief technology officer.
- The company's advisory team includes Tom Samek, Stephane Pilette, and Richard Selby.