Key Audience Needs During Coronavirus
Key Audience Needs During COVID-19
- Considering the implementation of social distancing and the inability to purchase goods & services in person, consumers or being forced to utilize e-commerce for a majority of their purchasing needs.
- With the need to conduct more activities within the confines of a person's home, there has been an increase in demand for apps, at-home fitness equipment, grocery delivery services, and restaurant delivery services.
- Consumers are turning to online/digital services for entertainment, work, and to replace other aspects of their life, such as instead of going to the gym, consumer are watching online workout videos to fill their fitness needs.
- A large sector white collar workers have shifted to working from home and the increase has shifted into industries such as healthcare, cybersecurity, logistics, telecommunication, etc.
- The shift to remote work has also led to an increase in use of video conferencing applications, like Zoom & Skype, and an increase in team & project management software such as Monday.com, Asana, and Notion.
Media Consumption During COVID-19
- According to a Nielsen audience report, staying home can increase content consumption by up to 60%, this can include television, smartphone media, video games, and other internet connected devices.
- Past data from global pandemics and crisis have shown an increase in total TV using ranging from 40-56%.
- SSP SPOTX, and online advertising platform recorded a 16% increase in video ad inventory across its global marketplace since COVID-19 became present.
- Consumer visits to government websites like the CDC have increased 425% from March 9-15, compared to the week of Jan. 6-12. For mobile, visits were up 671% in the week of March 9-15 compared against Jan. 6-12.
- News outlets have also seen an increase in their audience and web visitors with a growth of 23.4% the week of March 9-15 compared against Mar 2-8 and 30.9% growth vs. Jan. 6-12.
- Retailers like Amazon, Walmart, Target saw an increase in visits to their websites with 779 million visits the week of March 9-15. This amounted to a 4.7% growth the week of Feb. 24 to March 1.
- When it comes to search terms during this epidemic, terms like “Coronavirus,” “COVID” or “COVID-19” "increased by 553,778% in Jan. 2020 — from 9,902 in Dec. 2019 to 54.85 million in Jan. 2020."
- The top local television market viewership that showed the most growth between February 10th and March 9th were Seattle-Tacoma with a 28% increase, Los Angeles with a 19% increase, and San Francisco -Oakland with an 18% increase.
- During COVID-19, online consumption in general is surging. The global Outbrain network, a native advertising platform experienced 13% growth, and is continuing to trend up steadily.
- Data also shows consumption times are shifting, according to Outbrain, high traffic times are leaning closing to 9:00PM, especially regions that are experience a lock down or increased social distancing.
- Some verticals that are showing significant growth are Home & Lifestyle, Business & Finance, E-Commerce (weekly growth of 52%), Entertainment (Games, TV, Movies, Music, Books), Health & Fitness, and Recreation.