Kanab, Utah Research
Unique tourist attraction sites and a greater economic tourism impact are two reasons why Kanab is a competitor to Flagstaff, Arizona, in tourism. The town attracts many visitors annually due to many reasons, including its natural scenery, many events & festivals, etc. General sentiments regarding accommodation, attractions, and food in Kanab remain positive, with many visitor reviews indicating a great deal of customer satisfaction.
I. Why Kanab is a Competitor to Flagstaff
Unique Tourist Attraction Sites
- Both Kanab and Flagstaff are tourist attraction centers with rich histories. The two towns offer different outdoor and indoor activities, including national parks, art & culture, indoor recreation, geological attractions, etc.
- Kanab features many unique attraction sites such as the Gunsmoke movie set that ran from 1955 to 1975. The 635 episodes and outdoor scenes were shot in Johnson Canyon near Kanab, Utah.
- Flagstaff also boasts unique sites such as the Walnut Canyon National Monument, which provides a glimpse into the lives of the Sinagua people who inhabited the area about 800 years ago.
Greater Economic Tourism impact
- Tourism contributes to the economies of both Kanab and Flagstaff. Kane County tourism sector employed an estimated 4,000 individuals in 2017, while Flagstaff had approximately 8,000 tourism-related jobs in 2018.
- In 2017, about $457 million was spent on domestic travel expenditures in Kane County. Likewise, in 2018, an estimated 5.5 million visitors generated about $750 million of greater economic impact in Flagstaff.
- In 2017, state tax receipts in Kane County generated over $21 million, while local tax receipts generated more than $10 million. Flagstaff city, on the other end, spent over $14 million on arts & science, beautification, economic development, recreation, and tourism.
Interest Groups that may Visit Kanab Town
Heritage Interest Groups
- Kanab has many historical features, monuments, museums, artifacts, etc., that are likely to attract heritage interest groups that value how today's people value the past.
- In this regard, historic homes in Kanab, such as "The Heritage House located at 100 South & Main," is now considered a museum and affiliated with the Kanab Heritage Museum.
- Other attraction sites that may interest heritage groups include Kanab's historical photos, geological attractions like (Paria, The Wave, and White Pocket), etc.
Wildlife Conservation Groups
- While Kanab is not home to many wildlife animals, it has managed to attract animal conservancy groups, including a non-profit that runs a sanctuary in the area dubbed Best Friends Animal Sanctuary.
- The Sanctuary cares for various animals such as cats, dogs, goats, horses, donkeys, parrots, sheep, and wildlife.
- The rare bighorn sheep, which can be found at the Zion National Park in Kanab, could spark interest in wildlife conservation groups that aim at preserving rare animal species that are gradually becoming extinct.
- Kanab claims to be 'magically unspoiled' and prides in its naturally charming geologic structure characterized by "red rock trails, slot canyons, high mountain forests, and hikes."
- To preserve the historical attraction sites in the region and to prevent the exploitation of the natural environment in the region could spark interest in different groups like community groups aiming to preserve their surroundings.
- Recently, the town won against an imminent fracking sand mine near Kanab through a community group against poor planning and development projects called "Keep Kanab Unspoiled." Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE) was among the other key groups fighting against the fracking sand mine.
Reasons that People Feel Compelled to Visit Kanab Town
Year-Long Events and festivals
- Besides the gorgeous scenery and natural red soils that highlight Kanab's landscape, there are numerous events hosted in the community throughout the year. The town boasts over 40 annual events ranging from traditional colorful events to small-town celebrations.
- Flagship events during the year include the Balloons & Tunes Roundup event in February, which also kicks off the town's events calendar. Another notable festival is the Western Legends Heritage & Music Festival that has been around for the past 20 years.
- Kanab Treasure Quest is the newest event in the town that allows individuals to win prizes and cash up to $10,000. The challenge is played on a mobile application.
Major Outdoor Attractions
- Located at the heart of the 'Grand Circle,' Kanab is closer to major attraction sites in Kane County, such as "Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and Zion National Parks."
- The town also shares a rich history in movie sets owed to its beauty and Old West heritage that contemporary western films and televisions use as a backdrop.
- The town offers a myriad of recreational options ranging from trails, mountain biking, hiking, camping, photography, mule and deer hunting, sightseeing, etc.
Vibrant Restaurants, Hotels, and Shops
- Despite being a small town, Kanab hosts many restaurants, hotels, and shops with modern amenities for tourists. Visitors can experience a broad cuisine inspired by Mexican, Southwestern, Italian, and American foods.
- The town shops sell all the necessary accessories tourists need, including camping gear, food, etc. The town has over 24 restaurants, including major chains like Subway, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, etc.
- Likewise, the town offers some of the best accommodation with over 86 different places to stay. Visitors can as well opt for base-camps to allow them to explore the surrounding areas easily.
II. Representative Views From Tourists
Visitors Views on Food
- Rocking V Cafe has received over 1,774 five star reviews out of 2,951 regarding its outstanding and amazing food. One visitor.
- Great food, staff, and service. One customer who visited the area in February 2020 asserts that "The menu has many great choices. The food and service were great! All of the staff and atmosphere was very welcoming."
- Another visitor who stopped during the balloon festival claims that Rocking V Cafe has an "Amazing, personal service and delicious food."
- Houston's Trail's End restaurant in Kanab has an overall rating of four stars for food, service, value, and atmosphere.
- One latest review of Houston's Trai's End restaurant reads, "Great Hometown Diner: Love this hometown diner. Great food and service. Although I could only get takeaway because of COVID-19 it was still good! Every time I go to Kanab this place is on my list!
Visitors Views on Attractions
- The attractions in the local community fuel return visits. One customer review says, "We come each year in the late winter to Kanab to experience Zion and Bryce all over again..."
- The general sentiment regarding Wire Pass Trail (Buckskin Gulch Access) in Kanab is positive, with many customers liking the place. One visitor reviews the trail and says, "The 'Cathedral Wash' crossing — area is breath-taking!!
- Alstrom Point also has a positive rating in Kanab. It has 17 positive reviews and two very good reviews. The general sentiment is positive; however, visitors warn that one needs a jeep to navigate the area effortlessly.
- The Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab is ranked #3 out of 33 things to do in the area and has 1,436 reviews, of which, 1,275 are five stars, 105 are four stars, and 38 are three stars. One visitor review of the place reads, "I've been here 4 times and I will be back. It is magical."
- Another review of the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab reads, "Truly amazing sanctuary — I love best friends animal sanctuary. I visited there twice this summer. The staff is friendly and the tour is fun. Next time I want to volunteer."
Visitors Views on Accommodations
- One individual acknowledges that "Kanab is such a beautiful place to live." The individual continues to applaud the town's scenery, businesses, and views.
- Excerpts from one review of Hampton Inn Kanab read, "...the workers at the front desk were friendly and helpful. The rooms were as expected, clean and comfy. Breakfast was good."
- Another review of Canyons Lodge read, "Canyons Lodge is a funky, cozy spot right in Kanab that is a must do if you are looking for a good place to stay. We were only in town one night, but we were very glad to have a clean, comfortable night at the lodge."
- One customer review of Comfort Suites, the #1 of 16 Hotels in Kanab, reads, "The comfort suites in Kanab Utah is a very friendly place and very clean and the property is very well-kept. The staff is very helpful with information about the city and about the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Your stay here will be well worth it."
- Ranked #9 out of 16 hotels in Kanab, the Best Western Red Hills is a "Great location to stop for the night, according to one customer, who continues to say that, "Our stay started on a high note with Bree at the front desk. She was friendly & super efficient, we had a nice clean king room with a welcome bag of goodies waiting for us."
A thorough comparison of both towns, Flagstaff and Kanab, revealed the unique attraction sites, such as museums, trails, national parks, caves, etc., that make these areas competitors in tourism. Your research team looked into the offerings from both regions, along with the popular tourist attractions both locations offer to justify their competition. Importantly, both areas are significantly impacted by the tourism proceeds, and above all, earnings from tourism fund various projects in the regions.
Next, to identify interest groups that may visit the area, we explored recent happenings in the area regarding advocacy or activism to determine the type of interest groups likely to visit Kanab. Moreover, we looked at the various attraction sites in Kanab and discovered some are historic and likely to attract heritage groups. On that note, we matched the offerings Kanab has and the interest groups that are affiliated with such offerings to predict the three groups identified above. Lastly, we checked reviews on Yelp, Trip Advisor, and Niche to uncover visitor sentiments regarding the accommodation, attractions, and food offered in Kanab.