Japan Market Size - Youth Athletic Apparel
While there is no publicly available information to fully answer your question, we have used the available data to pull together key findings. The market size for athletic apparel in Japan for youth aged 6 to 18 years old could not be triangulated due to the limited information available on the subject provided by online sources that are not behind a paywall. The estimated market size youths aged 18 to 24 years old is ¥103 billion (US$0.92 billion). Below you will find an outline of our research methodology to better understand why the information you have requested is publicly unavailable, as well as a deep dive into our findings.
RESEARCH STRATEGY 1
- An examination of studies published by Japan's Bureau of Statistics, the US Commercial Service, Business Sweden, and others did not provide the market size of youth athletic apparel in Japan.
- These reports have only provided information on Japan's overall apparel market.
- The market size of youth athletic apparel in Japan could not be triangulated as none of these reports provide relevant data on youths in Japan.
RESEARCH STRATEGY 2
- An examination of articles and research published by research agencies and media outlets such as Markets & Research, McKinsey, Asia Times, Nikkei Asia Review, Statista, and others did not provide the market size of youth athletic apparel in Japan.
- The Nikkei Asia Review has published an article that only mentioned athleisure/athletic apparel as a trending fashion in Japan.
- Statista (snapshot of page) has provided the market size of the athletic apparel market in Japan but did not provide the figures for each age segment.
RESEARCH STRATEGY 3
- A triangulation of the market size for athletic apparel in Japan specifically for youths aged 6 to 18 years old could not be conducted due to limited information for this specific age group.
- Statista has provided the distribution of Japan's apparel market share by age groups.
- While the information for youths aged 6 to 18 years old is not available, we are able to triangulate the market size for athletic apparel in Japan for youths aged 18 to 24 years old based on available data such as the Japanese athleisure market and distribution of Japan's apparel market share by age groups.
YOUTH ATHLETIC APPAREL MARKET IN JAPAN
- Athleisure/athletic apparel is the trending fashion segment market in Japan and is mainly sold at sports equipment stores rather than at shopping malls in the country.
- Japan has the fourth largest apparel market in the world, after China, the United States, and Germany.
- The top retailers in Japan include Fast Retailing, Shimamura, World, Onward, Adidas, Nike, Aoyama Trading, TSI Holding, Wacoal, and Luis Vuitton.
- The size of the Japanese athleisure market (snapshot of page) is estimated to be ¥885 billion (US$7.9 billion) in 2019 and projected to reach ¥900 billion (US$8 billion) in 2030.
- The distribution of Japan's apparel market share by age groups are 18 to 24 years old (11.7%), 25 to 34 years old (19.8%), 35 to 44 years old (28.5%), 45to 54 years old (24.9%), and 55 to 64 years old (15.0%).
- The estimated market size for athletic apparel in Japan for youths aged 18 to 24 years old is ¥103 billion (US$0.92 billion) [11.7% x ¥885 billion].