Investment Attitudes; Thailand
A high net worth individual in Thailand is a digitally competent individual; close to a third of all respondents from the survey performed online research for making investment decisions. The insights about each of the requested investor profiles have been provided below:
Millennial Entrepreneur (up to 40 years old)
- The top three offshore investment options chosen by millennial investors include funds, cash investments, and stocks & equities.
- "The millennial investors hold a diversified portfolio of investments but are currently underinvested for wealth creation needs."
- Currency investments in portfolio allocation were the highest in the millennial investor's group; an average millennial investor would allocate 1.4% of their total portfolio to currency investments, whereas a techie retiree would only invest 0.3% of their total portfolio towards currency investments.
- The portfolio allocation figures for the millennial entrepreneur's group are as follows:
Mature Investor (41-60 years old)
- "Compared to the other two groups, individuals from this segment have a slightly better understanding of how to access offshore investments and currently have exposure to a more diverse range of offshore assets."
- The investors from this segment heavily prioritize the growth of their investments (70%) over their business or career growth.
- The top three offshore investment options chosen by mature investors include funds, stocks & equities, and fixed income assets.
- For mature investors, stability and security are the top priorities when choosing an offshore investment provider, and the individuals in this group see offshore investments as a means to diversify their investment portfolios.
- The portfolio allocation figures for the mature investor's group are as follows:
Techie Retiree (60 years or above)
- As per the data published in the SCB Julius Baer Wealth Report 2019, individuals from the techie retiree's group were more concerned about the growth of their investments than the growth of their businesses or careers. Nearly 68% of the investors in this segment prioritized the "growth of their investments over their business/career (32%)."
- 58% of the investors in this group have a strong preference towards wealth preservation over wealth creation. The top three offshore investment options chosen by techie retirees include funds, cash investments, and stocks & equities.
- The individuals in this segment expressed "the greatest desire to have their money professionally managed (26%)."
- Fixed-income assets and cash assets are an essential part of portfolio allocation for all three groups. An average millennial investor would invest 23.7% of their total portfolio towards cash assets. In contrast, an average individual from the mature investor's group would have only invested 20.2% of their portfolio on cash assets. The techie retiree group's investors would have allocated 23.1% of their portfolio to cash assets.
The portfolio allocation figures for the techie retiree's group are as follows:
- The concept of offshore investments is relatively new to the members of the techie retiree group; 73% of the individuals stated they were unfamiliar with offshore investments. In contrast, 56.4% of the millennials interviewed in the survey revealed that they have already invested in different offshore assets and mature investors are a step ahead; 69.66% of the respondents in this segment had invested in some or the other offshore assets.