In order to find 14-24 additional quotes that express how the internet is aspirational, touches on connection, people power, activism, and hope for how the internet helps make humanity better, we began by scouring quote databases to identify the exact type of quote that met the criteria. We then scoured official sources to determine if the quote was authentic, the date it was said, and what medium/source it was first presented on. In addition, two influential case studies that have used the internet to benefit socially or for humanity are The Shawn Mendez Foundation and Operation Storytime. Details have been provided in the attached spreadsheet as well as below.
Examples Of Internet Benefits
- Shawn Mendez has worked with several organizations to promote social change before founding his own charity in 2019 called the Shawn Mendez Foundation. The foundation is an online social support foundation that uses social media, video, and other online platforms to connect communities globally. The foundation's purpose is to "Give a voice to inspiring individuals and foundations on their endeavors to make a change and give back." The foundation also provides education to various audiences on how they can contribute to any of the foundation's focus areas including children's healthcare, youth empowerment, sustainability, education, ante-bullying, human rights, and mental health.
- Since 2019, the foundation has reached 280,000 followers on Instagram, 49,500 followers on Twitter, and 33,5047 followers on Facebook. In addition, the foundation was able to raise funds to donate $175,000 towards Covid relief in 2020.
- In addition, Shawn Mendez has set up virtual surprise concerts in 2020 for his fans to connect with his fans during a time of social distancing.
- “For a long time, I’ve wanted to find a way to amplify the causes that my fans and I care deeply about, and to help make the voices of our generation heard”
- “My goal in launching the foundation is to work alongside my fans, and do everything I can to help provide them with a platform that inspires positive change, and empowers young change-makers.”
- "The @shawnfoundation & I have been working to find ways to best support COVID-19 relief efforts, and to direct our resources to where we can make a difference. We've made a donation to @sickkidssvs hospital this week to help support the urgent screening and prevention of COVID-19 in my hometown of Toronto.”
Operation Storytime And Save With Stories
- During the Covid pandemic, social distancing has been hard for a lot of people, however, a group of celebrities came together to help people cope with the distance created during this time. Initiatives like Operation Storytime and Save With Stories are programs where celebrities read to children to help raise the spirits of children and parents and keep them connected.
- Because this is more of a movement than a foundation leading it, there is no way to measure the result in terms of the number of viewers or followers of the movement, however, at least 17 celebrities regularly participated in the program. Dolly Parton led a segment called "Goodnight With Dolly" which airs every Thursday.
- Celebrities that have been involved include the following:
- Dolly Parton
- Amy Adams
- Josh Gad
- Jennifer Garner
- Constance Wu
- Natalie Portman
- Lupita Nyong’o
- Reese Witherspoon
- Gal Gadot
- Camila Cabello
- Kerry Washington
- Daisy Ridley
- Auli’i Cravalho
- Ginnifer Goodwin
- Tony Hale
- Ming-Na Wen
- “I also want to thank everyone who is in self-isolation right now. I know it’s hard not to be out there socializing with everybody. Trust me, I want to be out there too, but it’s important that all of us protect everybody who is somewhat fragile right now, or immuno-compromised, so thank you. And now I’m going to read a book that I have a lot of trouble getting through and haven’t actually read in a long time because I find it a difficult one.” -Josh Gad
- " I’ve decided to finally join to shine a spotlight on kids across the country who need our help and support during this difficult time. My friend @jennifer.garner and I are launching @SAVEWITHSTORIES — a spot to watch your favorite celebrities read your favorite children’s books. We are galvanizing as a community to support a new fund for a combined effort between SAVE THE CHILDREN and Share Our Strength’s NO KID HUNGRY (and a big thank you to our founding publisher, Scholastic♥️)." -Amy Adams
- "Thank you to everyone staying at home and thank you to everyone out on the front lines helping those in need. Please accept my tiny offering of gratitude in the form of storytelling." -Daisy Ridley