Internal Communications Strategy
The Norican Group, the L'Occitane Group and the MAN Trucks and Buses Company are global manufacturing companies who have utilized branded platforms and communication strategies to effectively engage and communicate with their employees. One of the best practices that companies apply when branding their internal communication strategies include the formulation of their vision and goals to visualize what an ideal communication strategy should look like. Some examples of tools that manufacturing companies use to bridge the gap between their plant and office employees are the Staffbase tool, the Sociabble platform, and the hubEngage solution.
Internal Communication Branding Case Studies
The Norican Group
- The Norican Group provides vertical molding technologies that are used to process metallic components. The company has various subsidiaries that are located around the world.
- At first, the company has no centralized communication strategy to get in touch with its employees around the world in an efficient manner.
- The company then engaged the services of hubEngage to develop its own branded customized employee engagement platform and help in deploying its customized communication strategy.
- It also built kiosks in their industrial facilities to make it easier for employees in those locations to benefit from the new communication strategy.
- The company also leveraged the tool to solicit for ideas, capture employee feedback, and send relevant content to its employees such as best practices, innovative solutions, and other company news.
- After launching the customized communications strategy and the hubEngage tool and using them for one year, Norican reported that they have observed improved engagement and increased employee happiness levels globally.
- The L'Occitane Group is a global manufacturing company of natural and organic cosmetics.
- Prior to the deployment of a tailored internal communication platform, the company found it challenging to reach their employees who are based in various locations around the world whenever they need to communicate critical company information.
- The company then planned to launch a branded customized platform and an internal communication strategy to reach their employees around the world and in all company locations such as offices, stores, and industry sites.
- L'Occitane engaged Sociabble for its internal communication platform.
- It also worked on its internal communication framework that will enable a more streamlined and customized approach to ensure that it can disseminate the right information to its employees wherever they are.
- The company also developed a system to ensure that the relevant company content can be curated and shared to the right employee audience segments as needed.
- With the deployment of the customized platform and the specialized communication strategy, the company was able to engage more its employees around the world in a more timely manner.
MAN Trucks and Buses
- The MAN Trucks and Bus is a global manufacturer of heavy commercial vehicles.
- The company has several production sites around the world such as in Germany, Poland, Austria, and other locations.
- Before launching its internal communication strategy, the company found it challenging to reach their employees around the world. Many of their employees work in factory sites and do not have a dedicated workspace.
- The company also does not have a digital site where employees can share content.
- The company then formulated a plan to develop a communication framework that can let them communicate to all their employees wherever they are based.
- It then settled on the branded app from Staffbase that it can customize and integrate into its internal communication strategy.
- The company then customized the app to make it more suitable for use in a global company.
- With the app in place, the company deployed its customized communication strategy and trained their employees on the new process.
- The company can now send relevant messages to the right employee groups in a timely manner regardless of their location.
Communications Tools of Manufacturing Companies
- Staffbase provides an employee engagement and communication solution that enables manufacturers to engage and communicate with their employees whether they are on the factory site, in the office, or in the field.
- The tool aims to provide an integrated communication and information dissemination platform that can be used by all employees of manufacturing firms.
- With the branded app provided by Staffbase, manufacturing companies can broadcast their health and safety messages to all their employees wherever they are.
- The app can also enable manufacturing firms to evaluate the type of information that can resonate best with their age-diverse workforce. This can enable the company to save on resources by ensuring that they can deliver the right message to the right audience with the use of digital insights.
- As the platform can be accessed in multiple devices, employees can readily receive company communication in a timely manner.
- Some of the global manufacturing companies that use Staffbase's tool include SMC, Audi, MAN, Versum Materials, and others.
- Based on the testimonies of their customers, Staffbase's tool enabled them to save time, money, and effort when communicating to their employees.
- Sociabble provides a centralized platform that can be used by companies for their internal employee engagement and communication needs.
- The platform can be used by companies from various industries such as manufacturing, financial services, technology firms, and others.
- Sociabble's tool can also be used to deliver company information to the employees of an organization wherever they are based. The platform can also send notifications and alerts to employees' mobile devices.
- The company provides a centralized and gamified platform that can improve internal company communication and make employee engagement more interactive.
- The tool can also help in consolidating and directing employee traffic to the company's internal communication portals such as their branded intranets and company social networks such as Workplace by Facebook and Yammer.
- Sociabble is also compatible with many social platforms and enterprise tools that can push relevant company messages to the employees.
- The platform also has a feature that can let employees publish their own stories through the addition of user-generated content (UGC).
- Employee surveys can also be launched from the platform.
- Overall, the tool aims to make internal communication more efficient and improve employee engagement.
- Businesses who use the tool reported increased employee productivity.
- Some of Sociabble's clients include global manufacturing companies such as Coca-Cola, Groupe L'Occitane, Roche, Groupe Renault, and others.
The hubEngage Tool
- The hubEngage Tool helps meet the communication demand of the employees of manufacturing companies.
- The tool can be accessed in multiple devices by employees whether they are in the field or in the office.
- By using the tool, companies can send the right content to the targeted personnel at the time when it's needed. The employees can be categorized based on pre-identified segments, locations, specific habits, or other criteria. The content can be about company bulletin, security updates, maps, location data, calendar of activities, and other relevant company information.
- The tool also allows company leaders to obtain insights from the immediate feedback that they can regularly glean from their organization.
- Manufacturing companies can also enable fun and creative content to be sent anytime from the tool.
- Some of the companies using the tool include Kraft Heinz, Velcro, Neogenomics Laboratories, the Sunstate Equipment Company, and others.
- Based on the testimonies from its clients, the tool enables them to conveniently assess the results of their employee engagement initiatives.
Best Practices - Internal Communication Branding
Formulating the Internal Communication Vision and Goals
- Based on the recommendations from a manufacturing industry thought leader, manufacturing companies who seek to position their internal communication strategy need to establish their specific vision and objectives first to visualize their ideal internal communication setup.
- Some companies turn to building a "maturity model" to present the road map to a world-class internal communication structure.
- The model can describe the current communication state of the company, how they want their communication structure to appear after 1, 3, of 5 years.
- These companies can also lay out success metrics that can be used to evaluate their progress.
- As a way to position the planned communication model, companies typically create a scorecard that has the same branding as the vision and progress structure that were initially developed.
- The overall goal is to position an internal communication strategy that is concrete, fair, and standardized to make it easier to derive some insights on the state of the organization and its employees.
- As an example, the Tenneco global automotive company engaged the Grossman Group to develop and promote a communication plan to its manufacturing employees.
- The company set a goal of making communication more efficient between the leaders of the organization and its employees in order to enable business growth.
- As a result, the company was able to attain double-digit increases in its employee engagement scores.
- The company's communication team was also asked to present all the positive outcomes from the improved communication strategy as a "best practice" of effective continuous transformation endeavors.
- Manufacturing companies usually perform benchmarking activities by analyzing the internal communication strategy of other companies. Based on the findings from the benchmarking activities, companies can then formulate their own customized communication plan.
- Based on benchmarking exercises that were done in leading manufacturing companies, some of the common best practices that were applied when developing internal communication plans include the formation of transparent site communication standards and the regular conveyance of the communication plan goals and approach to the employees.
- Large manufacturing companies also put in place well-framed communication processes that also let them put in their customized touch to suit the needs of their particular organization.
- Benchmarking results from these large manufacturing firms also show that there should be an established scorecard to determine if the communication plan is working.
- These practices enabled global manufacturing companies to launch best-in-class customized communication plants.
- These best practices that were taken from the benchmarking analysis of large manufacturing firms can then be customized and packaged to suit the specific needs of another company.
- Based on what several manufacturing companies have done, another best practice is the process of segmenting their employees when implementing customized internal communication solutions.
- Employees can be segmented by the device or channel that they typically use such as those who primarily use mobile phones, PCs, or tablets.
- Organization can also be segmented by location or by browsing habits.
- Employees can also be classified by their roles or by their natural teams.
- In large manufacturing firms such as in the case of a large household appliance manufacturer, segmentation has led to an improvement in employee engagement and alignment when positioning an employee communication solution.