People consider a brand as innovative when there is clarity in its high-level intentions, when it improves functionality, resonates with the consumers, when the brand normalizes new features, and when it connects ideas.
5 things about a brand that makes people see it as innovative
1. WHEN THE BRAND EMPLOYS CLARITY IN its HIGH-LEVEL INTENTIONS
- A brand is considered innovative when it releases a product that brings out a clear connection between the consumer and where the product is going with its ideas in order to be perceived as innovative.
- It is also evident when the connectivity is done in such a manner that the brand's high-level intentions are clearly spelled out and easy to make sense of.
- A brand should have a clear storyline developed around it for people to find it innovative.
2. WHEN THE BRAND IMPROVES FUNCTIONALITY
- For a brand to be seen as innovative, the consumer needs to see that it brings improved enhancement.
- A brand should be able to introduce an extension of the existing product or service.
- The innovation also needs to add to the functionality at a reduced cost in order to be seen as a good value for innovative investment.
3. WHEN THE BRAND RESONATES WITH CONSUMERS
- Innovative brands usually strike a balance between what the customers want or are longing for and what the brand, in essence, is providing.
- They can do this by implementing new technology or idea in an industry that has not caught on yet in addressing the prevalent needs of the consumer at that particular time.
- A brand is considered innovative when it manifests a well-integrated social approach on how to serve their customers.
4. WHEN THE BRAND Normalizes NEW FEATURES
- Brands are seen as innovative when they go to great lengths to assuage/ease the customer's risk of trying out the new product and features.
- This is done in such a way that the brand positions the innovation and gives it proper meaning through the normalization of all the new features, thus giving the brand credibility.
- The normalization can also take place through using social media creatively to create awareness of the products new features.
5. WHEN THE BRAND CONNECTS IDEAS
- Innovation can also be seen in the brand when it effectively attempts and succeeds in connecting numerous brilliant ideas together to condense it into one great idea.
- Connecting ideas is essentially seen as the creative act in a brand that makes people see it as innovative.
To commence our research, we searched through go-to industry business publications like Business Insider, AdWeek, Branding Strategy Insider, Fast Company, Ameyo and the like, in search of the identity of some of the most innovative brands in the world today. We found out that, Walt Disney Company, Apple, Amazon, Shopify and the like, were featured prominently throughout most business articles that attempted to tackle this particular topic of brand innovation.
We, therefore, dug deeper into our research through the articles in Business Strategy Insider, Times, and Forbes to find out further the characteristics of some of the most innovative brands and to try to zero in on the details of whether some of those innovative brands share the same characteristics that make them stand out. We found out that common characteristics among companies which had brands considered to be innovative were the clarity and simplicity with which they portrayed the high-level direction that the product was going with its ideas. Also, we discovered that the products that were better able to connect with the customers to improve not only the products functionality and features but also do so at a relatively lower cost, were considered to be more innovative.
We scoured through the business articles to find out if any of those companies cited were implementing new technology or idea within the industry that had not caught on yet or if brands that had greater customer service or employed greater creativity in social media usage, were being considered to be more innovative than their peers. In the course of the search, we were able to consolidate the most common characteristics of brands that people consider to be innovative as presented above.