Top Innovative Hospitals
Based on a survey of 341 C-level executives, department heads, and staff members from hospitals and clinics across the US, the following five hospitals are the most innovative in the US: Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Intermountain Healthcare, Kaiser Permanente, and Geisinger. They are innovative in that they have elaborate innovative programs and centers in each of their respective hospitals.
HOW EACH HOSPITAL IS INNOVATIVE AND WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO SHOW INNOVATION
1. MAYO CLINIC:
- It has created a robust, innovative center known as the Mayo Clinic Center for Innovation.
- Through the innovation center, they strive to create a patient-centered healthcare delivery solution that combines both aspects of design thinking principles with scientific methods.
- Incorporated in their Center for Innovation, is a Multidisciplinary Design Clinic which brings healthcare providers and patients together to experiment with new prototypes of care models.
- Every year, the center also holds its Transform Conference, which brings together innovative healthcare leaders to have workshops and breakout sessions and keynotes.
2. CLEVELAND CLINIC:
- It has established Cleveland Clinic Innovations (CCI), an innovations program that is at the forefront of coordinating with its network to create innovative medical products that benefit patients at the clinic.
- CCI works in partnership with several healthcare institutions through an alliance known as the Healthcare Innovations Alliance, which organizes a Medical Innovation Summit every year to compare notes with other innovation leaders.
- Most recently, CCI partnered with artificial intelligence startup, Petuum, to submit an AI-powered diagnostic tool to the IBM Watson AI XPRIZE challenge.
3. INTERMOUNTAIN HEALTHCARE:
- It has created an innovation lab known as Healthcare Transformation Lab, which is a very integral part of its innovations system.
- This innovation lab links the community and the local businesses in a partnership aimed at transforming care delivery. It has strategically positioned the lab within the hospital precincts between the medical center and the Center for Medical Informatics to incorporate both clinicians and innovators.
- It also established a robust simulation center at Intermountain for innovation purposes.
4. KAISER PERMANENTE:
- The hospital has established an innovation center known as Kaiser Permanente Garfield Innovation Center.
- This innovation center was named after its founding physician, Dr. Garfield, and continues his vision of maintaining a healthy lifestyle through innovative means and treating the sick.
- The innovation center also currently hosts between 200-300 innovation projects yearly.
- Some of the most recent projects it has come up with involve technology that could enhance real-time, personalized telehealth care and protocols that can help improve health safety.
- It started the Geisinger's Steele Institute for Healthcare Innovation program, which has helped drive numerous innovative projects within its institute and beyond.
- Some projects in the program include the MyCode Community Health Initiative, Fresh Food Farmacy, and Springboard Healthy Scranton.
- The institute focuses on the quality enhancement of the encounters patients have with the facility as well to better the efficiency of outcomes.
- It has also partnered with artificial intelligence companies like Jvion in seeking for solutions to tackle some significant challenges it grapples with, in healthcare.
The research team began by searching through go-to industry platforms like Becker's Hospital Review, PubMed, ScienceOpen, The Lens, and Reaction Data that have medical/scientific literature in an attempt to try to find out the most innovative hospitals around with particular attention to the US. During our search, we found Reaction Data's survey of 341 C-level executives, heads of departments, and staff members from hospitals and clinics across the US. The survey participants were explicitly asked to mention the hospitals they saw as models for innovation, with quality care at a sustainable cost and other topics that touched on healthcare transformation. Based on the survey results, the five most frequently cited hospitals that were Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Intermountain Healthcare, Kaiser Permanente, and Geisinger.
Using this information, we searched through the websites of each of these five hospitals to try to find out how each hospital is innovative and what they have done to show innovation. We found out that each of these hospitals has established elaborate research innovation programs that spearhead their innovative ventures, as mentioned in our findings above.
The research team went further to scour through publications like Forbes, Jvion, Business Insider, and TechWatch with the hope of finding out if any of the hospitals had implemented any new/different technology such as using artificial intelligence or blockchain in a way other hospitals aren't using them yet. We also wanted to see if they had used 3D printing, robotic surgery, or mobile technology in their quest for innovative prowess. This approach yielded some relevant results which we have provided in our findings.