Cloud Service Adoption: 5G Impact
5G technology will positively impact worldwide adoption of cloud services through improved speed, reduced latency, and improved reliability. The requested information on each of the three ways is presented below.
- The 5G is expected to transform the network and communication industry by offering ultra-fast transmission speeds that can be as much as 100 times faster than the current 4G. Predictions show that it will have exceptional speeds of up to 100 gigabits per second per device. Such high speeds will have a profound impact on worldwide cloud services adoption.
- Improved speeds associated with the 5G technology will make many cloud services that have been ‘watered down’ by slow speeds more appealing. High-speed connection offered by 5G could be the missing link that allows everyone, everywhere to shift to the cloud. Thus, 5G will attract more people to adopt cloud services because of the convenience it will offer with regard to ease of access.
- The widespread roll-out of 5G technology will see accelerated adoption of mobile cloud applications in various industries, from healthcare to banking. Some cloud services and applications have exhibited reduced potential from their development stages. However, with 5G’s improvement on cloud availability through enhanced speed, such applications are expected to unleash their full potential.
- Latency is the time taken by two devices on a network to connect. The 3G network had a latency of 100 milliseconds while 4G’s latency is approximately 30 milliseconds. However, 5G is expected to have a latency as low as 1 millisecond.
- The low latency associated with 5G technology lowers the delay between command and response. Thus, communication between devices using 5G technology will be almost instantaneous.
- 5G’s low latency will increase adoption of cloud services that require near real-time communication such as robotics. It will also facilitate opening of new business models that revolve around it, including elaborate internet of things (IoT) platforms. Overall, some cloud services that could not be fully utilized due to the high latency associated with the current network will be fully exploited with 5G technology.
- Reliability is a measure of how well a network works without transmission failures or coverage gaps. 5G will have an ultra-high reliability that reaches 99.999% uptime.
- Improved reliability will positively impact adoption of cloud services because providers will be able to reach and serve their customers with added ease. It will also offer them more options and features, thanks to 5G technology. Improved reliability will also enhance adoption of premium features of some cloud services. Such features are currently deemed unattractive due to the relatively low reliability of 4G.
- Enhanced reliability will also increase adoption of cloud-based services and products. Increased use of such innovations in various industries will further accelerate cloud business investments.
The three ways above were identified after extensively reviewing various credible sources focusing on 5G technology and cloud services. From our research, it is apparent that most benefits associated with 5G technology will be realized in the realm of cloud services. Thus, improved speed, low latency, and enhanced reliability will facilitate increased adoption of cloud services.