Insights and Trends - Wellness in Chocolate
Three wellness trends in the global chocolate market are the growing popularity of dark chocolate, vegan chocolate, and organic chocolate.
Global Chocolate Market Wellness Trends
- According to a 2019 report about the global chocolate market published by Business Wire, "[w]hen it comes to cocoa and chocolate, health-conscious consumer choices typically manifest themselves in the elimination of some ingredients and the addition of others."
- Accordingly, the three global chocolate trends below pertain to ingredients.
- Furthermore, all three wellness trends below pertaining to the global chocolate market also center around the idea of "clean label products," which are being embraced by consumers.
1. Dark Chocolate Wellness Trend
- Dark chocolate is becoming an increasingly popular preference among consumers.
- The increasing demand for dark chocolate is bolstering the growth of the entire global chocolate market.
- Two factors contributing to the growing popularity of dark chocolate are the health benefits that people associate with it and the lower quantity of sugar it includes.
- Consumers are becoming ever-more aware about dark chocolate's health benefits and thus seeking out such products.
- The reason that there's less sugar in dark chocolate, compared to other types of chocolate, is because it's made with a greater percentage of cacao.
- Dark chocolate is a wellness trend in the global chocolate market because it was expressly described as such by at least three reputable sources (Baking Business, Absolute Reports, and Technavio) and (2) it is becoming increasingly popular in the global chocolate industry.
- Companies that are leaning into the global dark chocolate wellness trend include Raw Halo and Keep It Raw.
2. Vegan Chocolate Wellness Trend
- The title of an article summarized the vegan chocolate wellness trend effectively in stating "Global Vegan Chocolate Market Set for Dramatic Growth."
- Though cacao is vegan because it's a bean, the processing of it (in making chocolate) is what makes a lot of chocolates non-vegan through the incorporation of additives such as milk.
- One way that vegan chocolate is being produced is through substituting regular milk with plant-based milk, such as rice milk or almond milk.
- A factor that's bolstering the growth of the global vegan chocolate wellness trend is that many consumers think vegan foods are healthier than foods made from animal products.
- Vegan chocolate is a wellness trend in the global chocolate market because (1) it was expressly described as such by at least two reputable sources (Technavio and The Spruce Eats) and (2) it is becoming increasingly popular in the global chocolate industry.
- Companies that are leaning into the global vegan chocolate wellness trend include Terra Nostra Rice Milk Vegan Choco Bars, Dagoba, and Conscious Chocolate.
3. Organic Chocolate Wellness Trend
- Globally, there is an increasing demand for organic chocolate, which is bolstering the growth of the entire chocolate market worldwide.
- The organic chocolate wellness trend has pervaded the global chocolate market.
- According to the prominent, global chocolate manufacturer, Barry Callebaut, "[m]ore and more organic [chocolate] offerings are popping up on shelves of established, iconic brands as well as boutiques and independent producers. Retailers are increasingly recognizing the potential of this label."
- As proof of consumers' desire for organic chocolate, a 30% premium is usually charged (on average) for organic chocolate compared to non-organic chocolate, due in significant part to the quality perception of organic chocolate.
- Organic chocolate is a wellness trend in the global chocolate market because (1) it was expressly described as such by at least two reputable sources (Barry Callebaut and Technavio) and (2) it is becoming increasingly popular in the global chocolate industry.
- Companies that are leaning into the global organic chocolate wellness trend include Cargill, Theo, Fjak, and Pana Chocolate.
- Cargill's focus on organic chocolate derived, in part, from its focus on producing clean label chocolate products.
- With regard to Theo, the company "was the first U.S. chocolate maker to be fair trade and organic and continues to have one of the most ethical and transparent ‘bean to bar’ processes."
We identified the aforementioned three wellness trends in the global chocolate market by consulting market research reports and articles/information published by chocolate/health/food industry sources. Examples of sources we consulted in compiling the requested information included PR Newswire, NBC, and Healthy Eater, among others. As is noted above, we ensured that all three of the trends above are indeed trends because (1) each was expressly described as such by two or more reputable sources and (2) each is becoming increasingly popular in the global chocolate industry. Lastly, our research findings pertain to the global chocolate market, as was requested.