HVAC Home Equipment Market
Improved refrigerants, zoning systems, and geothermal pumps are the three recent trends driving the residential HVAC space in the US. Some companies that have adapted and are leading these trends are Carrier, Lennox, and Bryant Heating and Cooling Systems. Moreover, the effects of these trends in the market include helping residential HVCs to be more environmentally friendly and promoting contractors within the HVC residential community.
Improved Refrigerants and Cooling Systems
- As per Rod Miller of HVAC Systems, one of the leading trends for HVAC residential air conditioners is new and improved refrigerants.
- These new and improved refrigerants are both efficient and effective in cooling residential homes, as it absorbs heat in the environment and reduces the temperature of air that circulates it. Additionally, it is safe for the environment as it does not produce CFCs.
- Moreover, scroll compressors give new and improved refrigerants extra pressure and use less energy.
- As per the Refrigeration School (RSI), one of the problems of heaters and air conditioners is its consumption of "massive amounts of electricity and the releasing of harmful refrigerants in the atmosphere." However, improved refrigerants no longer produce CFCs and are known to be more energy-efficient. This trend leaves a positive impact in the market, leading the residential HVC market to a more environmentally-friendly market.
- Carrier is leading this trend with its release of Puron Advance. It has a lower Global Warming Potential (GWP) than other solutions found in the US and is known to be very useful in both the residential and commercial spaces.
- Zoning ventilation systems help distribute heat and cooling in residential homes effectively and efficiently.
- This system also helps heating and cooling systems to a more “multi-faceted” system where different areas (zones) have separate climate control settings.
- It is also simple to install as it only requires simple duct work and adding thermostats for each zone.
- Additionally, the system saves more energy for the HVAC residential space.
- Zoning systems leave a positive impact on the market, as zoning systems help promote local contractors. Dick Foster, the president of ZoneFirst, stated that contractors that have learned the zoning system and are offering zoning systems on the list of their HVC services have the possibility of earning more than those who chose not to adopt the zoning system.
- Lennox offers one of the leading zoning systems on the market, offering as many as four temperatures controlled-zones. This zoning system also delivers energy savings of upwards to 35%.
- Geothermal pumps help distribute heat in residential homes without using too much energy.
- These pumps work by collecting heat from the ground during winter, and during summer the ground is used as a heat sink.
- Additionally, by using both electricity and gas as its source of energy, it can help save energy-usage in the long run.
- Added benefits of geothermal pumps include less pollution and higher efficiency in heating hot water compared to other solutions.
- Although this is considered to be more of an expensive trend, geothermal pumps help consumers save money over time.
- Geothermal pumps are known to have a positive impact in the HVAC residential market because they are helping to increase the overall market size. As per ArchNews, the market potential for geothermal pumps is 14 times larger than its existing capacity, and this contributes positively to the overall HVAC residential market size.
- Additionally, geothermal pumps are considered to be primary drivers of the industry as environmental regulations are now in effect. Since geothermal pumps are more environmentally friendly, produce less noise, and have less maintenance costs compared to other alternatives to heating, they are affecting the HVAC residential market in a positive way.
- Bryant is one of the leaders of this trend, as their geothermal heat pumps are considered to be the most efficient on the market by Energy Star 2019.
Smart HVAC Home Technologies
- HVAC home equipment is getting much smarter, and with these improvements come various benefits.
- Generally, Smart HVAC home equipment provide ease of use and cost-saving features.
- Additionally, smart thermostats help compliment zoned systems as adding a central cooling and heating hub in zoned systems adds a new level of comfort for both homes and commercial spaces.
- Smart sensors found in Smart HVAC home technology also help redirect heat and coolness in parts of the home or building that are in use, helping with producing less-energy and lower costs.
- As per the RSI, smart HVAC home technologies contribute to the residential market by pushing the market into a more environmentally-friendly market. The controlled efficiency of Smart HVAC home technologies specifically contribute to the production of "Green Buildings."
- One of the leaders of this trend is Honeywell and its new Wi-Fi smart thermostat called Resideo. Resideo contains sensors that are capable of detecting temperature, humidity, and motion, which helps with the redirection of heat and coolness around homes.
Research indicated that heating, ventilation, and air conditioning are the three categories of residential HVAC. We decided to concentrate on trends regarding these categories. During our search, we were able to find a trend regarding air conditioning from two sources. It discussed that one recent trend for air conditioning is the improvement of new refrigerants (or the cooling features of air conditioners). When it comes to ventilation, we found from various sources that zoning systems are a key trend in the category. Lastly, we found that for heating, sources corroborate that geothermal heat pumps are a key trend on the category.
The team then looked into the companies that have adopted and are leading the trend. As per Rod Miller HVAC Inc., one of the leading companies for new refrigerants in their air conditioners is Carrier. Upon further search, we found that Lennox is leading the way for zoning systems as they are offering zones that help conserve energy when it comes to ventilation. Compared to other providers, Lennox offers better energy saving and more zoned systems. Lastly, the team found that Bryant Heating and Cooling systems have been considered to lead the way for geothermal heat pumps, as they were awarded the Most Efficient award by Energy Star in 2019. We also found that Carrier has also adapted to the trend by offering geothermal heat pumps. Lastly, the team included the trend of Smart HVAC home equipment products, as it was discussed in almost all the sources.
We considered these to be the key trends because the industry’s leading experts discuss them, and major industry leaders have adapted them. Furthermore, Market Watch might have a pre-compiled trend in its Residential HVAC Market report, which is behind a paywall.