Airports - Evolving the Movement Of People, Equipment, And Products
Evolutions in the equipment moving sector involve technologically advanced asphalt on runways and taxiways alongside specialized electronic tracking of equipment using IoT.
Evolving to deal with the logistics of moving people
- Biometrics are facial or fingerprint tracking solutions that are used for airport processes.
- It is also being used in automated baggage handling with robots.
- Companies like SITA and Vision-Box are using biometrics to track passengers from the parking lot at their arrival destination through the airport and to the parking lot or exit of their destination airport.
- The cost of installation of biometrics is not expensive as it uses existing infrastructure.
- Additionally, automated baggage handlers can move bags from entry, through screening and to its correct output location
- However, privacy concerns raised by biometric use are likely to continue in airports.
- 14 Korean Airports had biometrics deployed.
- China has facial recognition.
- Bristol and Dublin use SelfPass biometrics.
- British Airways claimed to have halved their times, because of biometrics.
- Now it only takes 22 minutes to load a plane.
- Lufthansa claims 350 passengers loaded in 20 minutes.
- Automated baggage handling trying to reduce the 6 in every 1000 passengers affected out of 4 billion travelers per year.
Evolving to deal with the Logistics of moving equipment
- Tracking of equipment is the future of airport improvements in equipment moving.
- Runways and taxiway technology are in construction for this main purpose.
- GPS sensors added to equipment for tracking purposes.
- Asset tracking models have allowed for tracking of assets via desktop or smartphone.
- Tracking can be done on equipment including vans, trucks and other vehicles.
- Airport asset tracking solution covers systems based on various technologies including conventional cellular-based IoT connectivity and emerging low-power wide-area (LPWA) wireless technology as well as proprietary radio, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Alternative asphalt mixtures are used to eliminate stress and grooving of pavements.
- Frankfurt Airport is spearheading environmentally-sound practices implemented measures to reduce cargo-transporter fuel consumption.
- The airport also uses mobile units for HVAC and ground power units (GPUs) and diesel with high electric loaders within its GSE.
- Moreover, equipment inefficiencies cause 70% of all Flight Delays at airports.
- The engineering properties of bitumen are profoundly influencing the high bitumen content results in the deformation resistance of Marshall-designed asphalt as the critical element of the bituminous mastic that glues the coarse aggregate particles together.
- Honeywell GoDirect Ground Handling improved Swissport through 13% reduction in repair and maintenance costs, and gave a better understanding of driver behaviors and identification of the most commonly driven pathways at airports.
Evolving to deal with the Logistics of moving Products
- Elimination of paper waybills.
- Catering to other forms of transport.
- BE-GATE Customs processing in Belgium.
- Frankfurt is digitizing dangerous goods declarations.
- Foro MADCargo hired in Madrid are fixing issues among multiple services.
- MIA became one of the first six airports to eliminate paper air waybills.
- JFK airport began offering truckers parking, fuel, food, and rest services.
- It's the first of its kind in the US. in 2017.
- Free to use, BE-GATE is designed for processing large amounts of data and the rapid clearance of customs applications.
- Each participant can now use an interface to declare dangerous goods on the platform, and this assures a quality-assured eDGD is created, which can then be transmitted to the airline or handling agent.
- The working group’s members include handling agents, forwarders, transportation providers, and airlines – IAG Cargo, Swissport WFS, DHL Forwarding, Panalpina, DB Schenker, Cacesa, Ireneo Logística, FLF (Inditex), and Transemer are among them.
- As the southernmost international airport in the contiguous US, MIA handles more Latin American freight than any other airport: 83% of all air imports and 79% of all US air exports to the region.
- JFK moved 1,350,599 metric tons of cargo in 2017.
- About 10% of all shipments were stopped at the airport due to errors in Frankfurt's paper systems.
What outcomes are these airports trying to produce?
- Reduce airport expenses and costs.
- The use of automated baggage handlers is improving traffic flow.
- Biometrics are being used to track and traffic passengers more effectively and efficiently.
- Using biometric improvements is excellent customer service.
- It also eliminates the need to collect usage data manually and reduces repair costs and safety.
- Purposeful tracking of equipment can reduce emissions and improve safety.
- It also alleviates the long wait times.
We looked into news sources, the websites of industry players, and airport statistics and solutions for various information about the topic. We came along numerous articles that discussed people movement, equipment moving, and products during our search. We then used the information we found from these reliable sources in our research brief.