Incubators & Accelerators in Greater Boston/Cambridge
After looking through the alumni networks of each accelerator and incubator, along with other metrics such as investments made, we found that the two largest accelerators in Boston were MassChallenge and TechStars Boston, while the largest incubators were Greentown Labs and Venture Development Center. More details about these organizations were placed in this spreadsheet.
- MassChallenge is one of the top early-stage accelerators in Boston where they help small businesses in many industries to grow.
- Since 2008, they have helped grow 2,000 alumni globally.
- TechStars is a highly successful accelerator that operates across the United States. Their Boston program is one of their best-funded.
- TechStars Boston worked with 155 startups between 2009 and 2019. The larger organizations have more than 5,000 companies.
- Greentown Labs is one of the largest hardware-focused startup incubators in the world.
- Greentown has housed more than 170 startups since its conception, with 86% of those companies still in business.
Venture Development Center
- Venture Development Center helps companies based on technology and life sciences. They also offer core research facilities and investment capital for the success of these companies.
- Greentown Labs has helped launch more than 102 startup companies.
The first step we took in looking for the most popular accelerators and incubators in the Boston area, we looked at multiple lists on websites such as Founder Institute and Built in Boston that discuss top accelerators and incubators in Boston. We used some of the information from these websites and also the websites of the top accelerators and incubators listed to get a better sense of their alumni, the size of their investments, and other metrics, but we focused mostly on the alumni network and the investments made, as we believed that would be a sign of a healthier organization. The four companies were placed into the spreadsheet and data was placed there as well.