Importance of Commitment to Achieving Success
Commitment is important in achieving success as this attitude can help individuals stick to their challenging goals such as becoming an elite athlete or achieving business goals despite the obstacles along the way. It can also encourage them to persevere amidst the monotony of continuous action in their daily lives.
The following are the insights gathered into the importance of commitment to be successful in achieving challenging goals:
COMMITMENT TO CONTRIBUTE
- Based on the findings from a Gallup research, committed and purpose-driven employees who are present every day to passionately do their work contributes to a 21% increase in profits.
- Given this, successful companies ensure that their employees are continuously engaged through various approach and action steps.
- These companies share clear goals to their employees and provide them with resources to help them achieve their goals.
- These committed employees also help companies in achieving a 41% decrease in personnel not showing up for work, as well as a reduction in attrition.
- On the other side of the spectrum, employees who are not committed to their companies can make companies lose around $550 billion annually.
COMMITMENT AND ACCOUNTABILITY
- Based on a research done by the "American Society of Training and Development (ASTD)," people have a 65% success rate of achieving their goals if they can commit these objectives to another person.
- Furthermore, the success rate will reach 95% if an individual will commit a specific date to someone on when these goals should be done.
- Individuals can select a trusted person such as their other half or a responsible friend as their sounding board on why it is crucial for them to attain the goal.
- People can also inform their online audience about these goals to ensure their commitment to the goal.
- Individuals and their accountability partners can also determine any action that should be done if the latter did not honor their commitment to ensure success.
- It will be better to choose someone who will keep the person setting the goal to be continuously challenged and committed.
COMMITMENT TO HEALTHY LIVING
- Dedication in maintaining a healthy way of life is one of the most significant commitment that one can make.
- Base on research from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most chronic ailments are the following: "cancer, stroke, heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and arthritis."
- These diseases were mostly caused by lack of exercise, smoking, unhealthy diets, and excessive intake of alcohol.
- However, if an individual can commit to healthier ways of living that can thwart these risk contributor, these diseases can be stopped on its tracks.
COMMITMENT TOWARDS THE SUCCESS OF BUSINESS ENDEAVORS
- As per a research paper on entrepreneurs, it is crucial for business owners to demonstrate high commitment to the success of their initiative.
- This commitment can be manifested when these founders put it their own money to sustain their businesses.
- This level of financial commitment can also help entrepreneurs to get more investors to fund their endeavors.
COMMITMENT TO THE SUCCESS OF AN ORGANIZATION
- Based on several findings from HR, the commitment level demonstrated by employees is looked upon as a significant gauge of the success of an organization.
- As a result of a more competitive global environment and employees' desire to look out for their own needs, their demonstrated commitment to the company has been observed to decrease.
- Given this, it is now more crucial than ever for employees to want to be with their companies and to be able to manifest a positive outlook.
- This positive commitment is known to increase the value that the employees contribute to their teams.
- Dedicated employees are known to also be more determined, show initiative, has a comparably high output, and tend to produce higher work quality.
- They are also less prone to attrition and being sick.
- On the other hand, employees who have shown their lack of commitment can greatly undermine the success of a company.
COMMITMENT TO ATHLETIC PURSUITS
- Based on several research work, the journey to become an elite breed of athlete will demand a combination of several factors.
- In general, athletes need to solidly commit to immersing themselves in intense practice sessions in several sports with the ultimate objective of improving their performance.
- Their skills can also be honed by ensuring that they continuously commit to heavy practice sessions that are fueled by their drive to succeed.
COMMITMENT OVER TALENT
- Based on research, the skill to be "gritty" is an important success determinant factor.
- Being gritty involves being committed to important goals even if setbacks are encountered along the journey.
- This level of commitment is more important than inherent talent or mental acuities that an individual possesses.
- In order to continue on the road to success, there is a need to consistently persevere.
- Without this level of commitment, talents will just remain as untapped potentials.
- Only through effort commitment can one convert talent to useful skills that can make them succeed.
We started our research by looking for directly available reports that contain research-based insights and statistics on how commitment is critical for achieving success in the face of challenging goals. We looked for this information in relevant sources such as in publication like Forbes, Medium, Addicted2Success, Lifehack, and related sites; academic sites such as the Harvard Business Review, Integrated Medicine, and others; research sites such as Research Gate, Taylor and Francis Online, and other similar sites; media outlets such as CNBC, CNN, and other relevant sources. Based on this search approach, we were able to glean several insights and some statistics on the importance of commitment to achieve target goals. However, there were no explicit mentions on these reports on whether those commitments are important for hard and challenging types of goals. Nevertheless, a report from Harvard Business Review that was based on several studies mentioned that the difficulty of a goal is just based on personal context and perception. Given this, we have triangulated that our findings above apply to all types of goals, including hard ones. It just depends on the subjective view of an individual.