IMDb TV Competitors: Vudu
Vudu users view, on average, about 1.9 hours worth of content each week. The requested information regarding Vudu is available in the attached spreadsheet.
- Vudu's US market position trails behind other services like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.
- The total number of users on the Vudu platform was higher than 25 million as of October 2018. Information on the total number of users who stream content was unavailable. The company has declined to comment on the current number of users or the number of people using Vudu's streaming features.
- Users on Vudu watch an average of 1.9 hours of content per week.
- Five percent of consumers who subscribed to an online video or music service had an active Vudu membership in 2017.
- Vudu's target market appears to be those who are interested in new releases, as this is the company's primary advantage over other major streaming services like Netflix. The recent introduction of advanced parental control features also suggests that the company is interested in targeting families with young children.
- Vudu's streaming service works on smart TVs, connected Blu-ray players, game consoles (Xbox and PlayStation), streaming devices (Apple TV, TiVo, Roku, Chromecast), Nvidia Shield, Android devices, Apple devices, and Windows 10 devices. The streaming works through the Vudu website or through the company's apps, which are available through the Google Play Store, the Microsoft Store, or the Apple App Store. Some eligible titles from Vudu may also be accessed through the Movies Anywhere app if the user has linked a Vudu account to Movies Anywhere.
- The company's identity is centered on being a service created by movie and TV lovers for movie and TV lovers. Vudu differentiates itself from other streaming services by having the newest releases and content, being a "one-stop shop for movie lovers," and bringing movies to customers "anytime and anywhere". The company's strategy for maintaining this identity is to focus on maintaining a team passionate about the service and remaining flexible enough to allow for innovation.
All information about Vudu's business model, pricing, identity, technical capabilities, and content was sourced from Vudu's website. Information about the company's market share was sourced from Statista and articles about the video streaming market.
Details about the number of people who currently use Vudu's streaming service were not available on the company's website. Searches of the Statista database did not yield information on this topic. A scan of relevant industry, media, and technology journals did not provide further insights on the number of streaming subscribers.
We also explored the most recent news pieces, publications, reports centered on Vudu for this information, including Digiday, the New York Times, etc. The latest available figure for the total number users of the service was sourced from an October 2019 article wherein the company specifically declined to update the number from the previous year. Relevant links are available in the attached spreadsheet.