The success recorded by companies using IGTV such as Netflix, Adidas, and Coach implies that IGTV is an effective medium to market brands through influencer marketing. These companies experienced skyrocketing views of their influencer marketing videos by using IGTV and adopting best practices such as choosing the right influencer, video quality, and emotionally charged hashtags.
INSTAGRAM TV CASE STUDIES
- Success metric: Netflix promotes itself in IGTV by featuring popular actors that got about 2.2 million views in an hour on its popular posts.
- Best practices: Netflix posts easy to consume, tightly edited fun videos by knowing their audience.
- Success metric: Coach — an accessory brand — post its IGTV videos using their brand ambassadors which spiked their audience reach.
- Best practices: Coach video posts contain emotionally charged hashtags and suitable brand ambassadors with good collections previews.
- Success metric: Adidas is promoting its brand with the "She Breaks Barriers" social campaign using female marathon runners which led to 1.2 million views on its recent post.
- Best practices: Adidas focused on social campaign and promoted the same on IGTV featuring social causes in vertical format videos with good editing and subtitles.
- Mejuri — a Canada fine jewelry brand — promotes its brand by posting tutorial videos on “how-to-wear” jewelry using influencers but details on success were not quoted.
- Tim Hortons — a Canada coffee brand — also promoted long-form videos on IGTV but success metrics and best practices are not quoted.
Other success metrics:
- IGTV views are skyrocketing after they introduced the 1-minute IGTV previews feature on Instagram. Later’s IGTV channel views initially averaged 3,000 views per post. Following the introduction of the Instagram preview feature, views rose by about 300% to hit 14,000 per post.
Other relevant insights:
- For promoting videos on IGTV, companies need to recreate another video with vertical video optimization as they can’t post the same video which they posted on YouTube.
- Only brands with 10,000+ followers and verified accounts can use IGTV, this hinders micro businesses.
- IGTV lacks search functionality which limits users to search for channels but can not search for a specific video post.
- Though there was a new integration of 1-minute IGTV previews feature on Instagram, the lack of coordination between Instagram and IGTV initially made brands to think twice about influencer marketing via IGTV.
To determine if Instagram TV (IGTV) is or isn't an effective medium for brands to promote their product/service through influencer marketing in Canada, your research team searched for multiple success stories of IGTV across various influencer marketing and social media articles such as Crello, Later, Entrepreneur, Fourth Source, and others. We found that Instagram TV (IGTV) initially faced challenges in promoting brands because of vertical video optimization and isolation from the Instagram app. However, following the introduction of the 1-minute IGTV previews feature, brands have had significant success via IGTV. While we found Canadian brands using IGTV, there are no hard data to measure how successful they have been for using IGTV. Hence, we expanded the scope of this research to include U.S. brands.