What would be the ideal Facebook advertising targetting criteria for this competition: https://www.herox.com/aginginnovationNY
The ideal Facebook ad targeting criteria for the HeroX 2018 Aging Innovation Challenge include students and faculty aged 18-60 in New York who are interested in Elder Care, Innovation, and are Early/Late Technology Adopters.
Below you will find a deep dive of my findings.
• Open to New York college and university communities, including undergraduate and graduate students
• Includes students that have recently graduated during the academic year 2017-2018.
• Open to faculty members who are part of student teams
• Excludes New York State Department of Health employee representatives, dealers and agents
ADVERTISING TARGET CRITERIA
Based on the above criteria, we have determined the optimal targeting criteria using the Facebook Ad Targeting guide and the Social Media Examiner walkthrough.
• Location: United States, New York (state level only since the contest is open to all New York college communities)
• Age: 18-60 (college students, graduate students, and faculty members)
• Gender: All (Men and Women)
• Language: English
Include people who are:
• Interested in Innovation
• Interested in Elder Care
• Interested in Care Giving
• Recent graduates (New York was already selected as a criterion earlier)
• Graduate students
• Undergraduate students
• Faculty Member
• Interested in Inventions
• Technology Early Adopters and Late Adopters
• Interested in prototypes
Exclude people who are:
• Employee representatives of the New York State Department of Health
• Dealers of the New York State Department of Health
• Agents of the New York State Department of Health
Connections targeting is not recommended in this case as this searches for people connected to a business such as employees, etc. Also, this may lead to variable cross connection which can yield a very narrow selection of audience to target.
Below is additional material for further reading:
Connectio's "25 Weirdly Specific Facebook Ads Targeting Ideas You Didn’t Know Existed" - gives several ideas for more specific ad targeting. For example, you may target people who have previously used a specific similar app or prototype, responded to your previous event, or liked your page for a specific similar product or prototype.
To wrap it up, the ideal Facebook ad targeting criteria for the HeroX 2018 Aging Innovation Challenge include people who are: aged 18-60, undergraduate/graduate students and faculty members located in New York, interested in Elder Care, Innovation, and are Early/Late Technology Adopters among others. People professionally connected to the New York State Department of Health such as agents and dealers must be excluded in the ad targeting.