Marriott International, Zoom Video Communications, IN-N-Out Burger, Southwest Airlines, Salesforce, and Ultimate Software are some of the companies considered to be among the best "people-first" companies.
- According to their mission, “If we take care of our people, they will take care of our customers, and the customers will come back,” Marriott International has for years been committed to providing their employees with a conducive environment that will make them more productive, thus leading to the company’s profitability.
- The company’s employee-centric focus can be dated back to the Great Depression-era, when it was just formed. They secured their workforce by hiring a staff doctor, who was to ensure that they were all in a healthy state. Notably, during the 2008 financial crisis, the company did not consider cutting their payroll, as the workforce would have lost their eligibility for healthcare benefits.
- Marriott’s people-centric approach is also evidenced by the humble leadership portrayed by the top executives. For instance, Bill Marriott, the executive chairman of the company, does not seclude himself from other employees during lunchtimes. Also, the CEO, Mr. Arne Sorenson, connects with employees by paying attention to their points of view, putting their concerns into consideration, among others.
- Not only are they committed to having people start with entry-level positions and have the chance to acquire new skills and expertise, but they also have a “ holistic employee wellbeing program”, which also won the American Psychological Association’s Psychologically Healthy Workplace and Organizational Excellence Award.
- They have also introduced a parental leave program that covers adoptions and births.
Zoom Video Communications
- The company, through its “happiness crew”, is committed to having its entire workforce happy. The crew has created an office culture that ensures employee engagement through volunteering, celebrations, and events. They have events like desk decoration with rubber ducks, Bring Your Parent to Work Day, and volunteer activities at Special Olympics and Habitat for Humanity, among others.
- During the onboarding process, new employees get to build relationships by attending training in San Jose.
- In addition, they also have access to a mentorship program and learn the company’s culture. After the training, through the happiness crew, they get to have breakfast and interact with other employees.
- Their commitment to the happiness of their workers has earned them recognition by the Denver Post as "The Best Place to Work in Denver"
- The company has developed a culture of paying its employees more than the minimum wage, which has in turn made them be highly productive and committed to the company.
- Entry-level employees are treated with familial care by the company's leadership team, which has then resulted in great customer service. They also have an ongoing training program that provides managers an opportunity to be promoted.
- Other employee incentives include a flexible work schedule, promotion, and paid vacation.
- Managers who meet their annual goals are also rewarded with "all-expenses- paid trips". Such incentives have seen managers attain a target of about $160,000 annually.
- Southwest Airlines is known for having a fully engaged workforce, an aspect that has contributed to their success. They have proved that the success of a company is linked to the happiness of its employees.
- Though the company has a rigid recruitment process aimed at having employees who are committed to representing their branding message and have a passion to meet the needs of every customer, much investment has been made on employee training and facilities like the Leadership Education and Aircrew Development (LEAD) Center and Training and Operational Support (TOPS) building.
- They have a profit-sharing policy that allows their employees to also become shareholders of the company and they get to receive their dividends based on what the company earned in a financial period.
- Salesforce’s focus on providing a rewarding work environment for its workers has made them feature in the 2018 Fortune 100 Best Places to work.
- They have developed a feel-good culture through community engagement activities. Employees are paid for spending 56 hours every year engaging in community volunteering activities.
- Ultimate Software has been upholding the culture of equality and diversity since its inception. They have an almost equal number of men and women. Besides, about 50% of top positions in the organizations have been held by women.
- Through their U Belong program, the company serves its employees by providing a support system and a comprehensive diversity program.
- They have several employee benefits including online health, unlimited personal time off, child sponsorship,100% paid maternity and paternity leave, payment for charity work, among others.
- Their notable contribution to the wellbeing of their employees has made them receive several recognition including, the 2019 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For, 2019 People Companies That Care, and 2019 Best Workplaces in Technology.