Housing Residential Business Model
According to Marriott International, Bulgari's parent company, they use or license their trademarks "for the sale of residential real estate, often in conjunction with hotel development, and receive branding fees for sales of such branded residential real estate by others."
- The Bulgari resorts and hotels collection is currently composed of six hotels and resorts globally, with five more hotels in the pipeline to be completed between 2021 and 2024.
- Bulgari Hotels & Resorts' vision is to be the leading luxury hospitality collection in the world.
- Bulgari has "few, selected properties in major cosmopolitan cities and luxury resorts destinations, its aim is to convey the excitement of the Bulgari brand, its timeless glamour and its heritage of magnificent Roman jeweler."
- The Bulgari resorts and hotels worldwide are Bulgari Resort in Bali, Bulgari Hotel in Shanghai, Bulgari Hotel in Beijing, Bulgari Hotel in London, Bulgari Resort and Residences in Dubai, and Bulgari Hotel in Milan.
- The Bulgari hotels in the pipeline are Bulgari Hotel in Tokyo, Bulgari Hotel in Paris, Bulgari Hotel in Rome, Bulgari Hotel in Moscow, and the Bulgari Hotel in Miami Beach.
- The Bulgari hotels and resorts brand was launched as a joint venture between Marriott International and Bulgari. All the Bulgari hotels and resorts are owned and operated as a joint venture.
- According to a press release by Marriott, "the new brand will be designed by Bulgari to leverage their striking Italian contemporary style and will offer the finest Italian cuisine, amenities and furnishings available."
Bulgari Residences Business Model
- Marriot International runs and operates all the Bulgaria hotels and resorts.
- In addition to running hotels and resorts, Bulgari has residences/residential developments using the brand's trademark.
- According to Marriott International, Bulgari's parent company, they use or license their trademarks "for the sale of residential real estate, often in conjunction with hotel development, and receive branding fees for sales of such branded residential real estate by others."
- In the residential license agreement, the third-party owners construct and sell residences with little to no Bulgari/Marriott capital at risk.
#1. Bulgari Resort in Bali
- The Bulgari Resort Bali is the second in a series of luxury resorts and hotels from Bulgari. It is "located in one of the most exclusive destinations in the world, a veritable emblem of the tropical exoticism of the Orient."
- The resort's hotel grounds are estimated to occupy an area of 9 hectares (85,000 square meters), and the hotel is located at an altitude of 492 feet above sea level.
- The Bulgari Resort in Bali is not residential and operates as a hotel with 59 guest rooms.
#2. Bulgari Residences in Dubai
- The Bulgari Resorts and Residences are located in Jumeirah Bay Island and cover 1.7 million square feet (157,935 square meters.)
- When the construction was announced in 2015, it was expected to have a hotel with 101 rooms, 165 residential apartments, 15 mansions, and eight penthouses.
- According to Arab News, the project was "entirely financed by government-owned Meraas, with Bulgari, acquired by Paris-listed in 2011, licensing its brand for an undisclosed amount."
- The Bulgari hotel and resorts in Dubai have a hotel and residential mansions and apartments.
#3. Bulgari Hotels and Residences in Moscow
- This project is expected to be completed in 2022 and will include 10 residences, one penthouse, two townhouses, and one grand townhouse.
- In addition to the residential developments, the project will also have a hotel with "65 rooms and suites, including an extraordinary 300-square meter BVLGARI Suite with а unique 600-square meter rooftop terrace, and offer magnificent views of the Moscow rooftops and of the Kremlin."
- The project will be developed by a Russian investor, Alexey Bogachev, who agreed to invest €200 million in the hotel.
- Just like other Bulgari residential projects where the brand has little to no capital investment, it is expected that they will collect licensing fees for the use of the brand name.
Other Bulgari Hotels and Resorts
- All the other (current and proposed) Bulgari hotels and resorts do not have any residential development and are owned and controlled by the brand.
Ritz Carlton Residences
- Like Bulgari Hotels and Resorts, The Ritz Carlton Company, L.L.C. is part of Mariott International, Inc. and operates over 100 hotels in 32 countries and territories.
- The Ritz Carlton Residences are located in the "world's most vibrant cities and stunning resort destinations."
- There are 49 Ritz Carlton residences across the world. The residences are found in:
- The United States and Canada: 32 residences.
- Mexico, Caribbean, and Latin America: 5 residences.
- Europe: 5 residences.
- Asia Pacific: 4 residences.
- The Middle East and Africa: 3 residences.
- The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. residences in Montreal, Quebec are not managed by the company.
- Most of the Ritz-Carlton residences are located in cities where the brand has hotels, but they are situated separately from the hotels.
- According to Mariott's 2020 annual report, The Ritz Carlton is among the brand names and trademarks the company has licensed for residential real estate sales.
- While the company does provide the exact licensing figures collected from residences using its brand names and trademarks for real estate sales, licensing and franchising are a big part of the company's business.
- Below are examples of some residences that use The Ritz-Carlton mark under license:
- For the Ritz Carlton Dove Mountain Residences, "Dove Mountain Investors, LLC uses The Ritz-Carlton marks under license from The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, LLC."
- "New Grande Residences LP uses The Ritz-Carlton marks under a license from Ritz-Carlton" to develop the Ritz Carlton Sarasota residences.
- The Ritz Carlton Residences in Westchester "are not owned, developed or sold by The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, LLC. Renaissance Condominium Partners II uses the Ritz-Carlton marks under license from The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, LLC."
- The Ritz Carlton Residences in Singer Island, Palm Beach, "are not owned, developed or sold by The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. 2700 North Ocean LLC uses The Ritz-Carlton marks under a license from The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C."
Soho House Istanbul
- Soho House was founded in 1995 to serve as a private members’ club for people working in film, media, and creative industries.
- The brand has grown over the years, expanded its geographic footprint, and incorporated hotels, restaurants, spas, and other amenities into its offerings.
- Since Soho House opened in 1995, it now has 27 Houses in 10 countries, with more houses in Europe, Asia, and North America in the pipeline.
- According to the company, each of its houses across the world has a different identity, but the mission remains the same: "to create a home away from home for our members."
- The Soho Houses have bedrooms, restaurants, spas, cinemas, and workspaces and are located in:
- The United Kingdom: 10 Houses.
- Europe/Middle East: 6 Houses.
- North America: 9 Houses
- Asia: 2 Houses.
- Soho House locations worldwide have bedrooms for both short-term and long-term stays, but the company is planning to enter the rental market.
- Soho House Istanbul features bedrooms, a main bar, a games room, a dining room, a cowshed spa, and a morning room.
- Soho House Istanbul can be considered to be part of a hotel with a residence department since it is a hotel with short-term and long-term bedrooms, just like all the other Soho Houses around the world.
- Soho House Istanbul is considered to the biggest Soho House property with a hotel-house complex spanning three buildings.
- Soho House's owners include Nick Jones, its founder and CEO; Ron Burkle, an American billionaire; and Richard Caring, a British businessman.
- Since Soho House is a private members' club, it appears that it is owned and operated by the Soho House Group Limited with no third parties licensed to use the Soho House marks.