Market size - Homeschooling Educational Materials in the US.
The market size of homeschooling educational materials in the U.S. is estimated to be approximately $288.75 million, with the religious segment capturing an estimated market share of 37% or $106,873,500. You will find a deep dive of my findings below.
Methodology and Calculations
Homeschool market share
EdWeek's data analysis on the nation's homeschoolers indicated there were 1,689,726 homeschooled students enrolled in fall 2017. This same report stated this number represents 3.3% of the total number of enrolled students in grades preK-12 in the United States. To verify this percentage, I found the total number of students enrolled in elementary and secondary schools from The National Center for Education Statistics, which is 50.7 million. I then divided 1,689,726 by 50,700,000 to establish the percentage of homeschooled students is in fact 3.3%.
Religious and non-religious homeschool market shares
A 2016 report from Agile Education Marketing indicated that 38% of homeschool families opted to homeschool for religious reasons. A 2017 Research and Markets U.S. Homeschool Market Report stated that 36% of homeschool respondents said that providing religious or moral instruction was their primary reason for choosing homeschool. Therefore, for the purposes of this brief, I took an average of these two percentages and determined that about 37% (38 + 36 = 74, 74 / 2 = 37) of homeschool students follow a religious curriculum and purchase religion-based educational materials. This means that approximately 63% (100-37) of students follow a non-religious curriculum and purchase non-religion-based educational materials.
Total educational materials market size
The Simba Information PreK-12 Publishing Market Report provides data on all educational curriculum materials used to educate students in the United States. According to the table of contents, the report covers books, software, print supplements, manipulatives, videos, and magazines, which are essentially all the materials necessary for a school or homeschool to educate a child. This research report sets the total market size for educational materials in the U.S. in 2017 at $8.75 billion.
Homeschooling educational materials market size
Since there is no available research report that provides the homeschooling educational materials market size, I had to estimate it based on the available data. We know that the total market size for educational materials is $8.75 billion and that the homeschool market share is 3.3%. Therefore, we can estimate that homeschoolers use approximately 3.3% of the educational materials available for all preK-12 students. By multiplying $8.75 billion by 3.3%, we can say the homeschooling educational materials market size is about $288.75 million (8,750,000,000 x 0.033 = 288,750,000).
Religious and non-religious Homeschooling Educational materials market sizes
Knowing that the total homeschooling educational materials market size is approximately $288.75 million and that the religious homeschooling market share is 37%, we can calculate the approximate religious homeschooling educational materials market size to be about $106,873,500 ($288,750,000 x 0.37). Therefore, the non-religious homeschooling educational materials market size is about $181,876,500.
The total educational materials market size for U.S. preK-12th grade students is $8.75 billion. With the homeschool market representing a 3.3% market share, we have concluded the estimated market size of homeschooling educational materials in the U.S. is about $288.75 million. Approximately 37% of that belongs to the religious segment, leaving 63% to the non-religious segment.