Home Services Segmentation
The US home services industry is segmented by deployment, repairs & maintenance, home improvement type and geography.
- Although publicly available information on the segmentation of the US home services market is limited, available reporting by industry experts (e.g., Verified Market Research, ResearchAndMarkets) suggests that the industry is segmented in several fashions.
- Specifically, according to Verified Market Research, the US home services industry is segmented according to four distinct schemas: deployment, repairs & maintenance, home improvement type and geography.
- The segmentation of the US home services market by deployment refers to the channel through which home services companies operate.
- Per Verified Market Research and ResearchAndMarkets, this channel-based segmentation is centered around whether home services businesses sell and operate through offline or online vehicles.
- In the case of offline operations, customers must be physically present to request services.
- In contrast, the online segment of the market is where home services are offered through official websites and other online channels, which enable customers to apply remotely but directly for services.
- While the offline segment of the US home services market was meaningfully larger than the online channel as of 2018, both deployment segments are expected to experience exponential growth through 2026.
Repairs & Maintenance
- The segmentation by repairs and maintenance, in contrast, divides the US home services industry by the type of function performed by companies.
- According to Verified Market Research, the sub-segments within this repairs and maintenance focus are electricity, plumbing, gas, HVAC, non-HVAC home appliances, handyman, roofing, landscaping, pest control and other services.
- ResearchAndMarkets and Franchise Help corroborate this sub-segmentation, by reporting that the home services functions include plumbing, landscaping and other services such as cleaning, decoration, flooring, moving & storage and concrete.
- Franchise Help adds that the flooring sub-segment is further divided into carpet, rugs, resilient, tile, wood, laminate and rubber.
- Additionally, Franchise Help reports that the HVAC and plumbing sub-segments are often grouped together, and include installation and repair contractors for services such as heating, ventilation, air conditioning, bathrooms, kitchen fixtures, gas appliances and refrigeration.
- Meanwhile, the landscaping sub-segment is largely comprised of mowing, clearing leaves, chemical lawn care, mulching, flower-planting and pruning, per Franchise Help.
Home Improvement & Geography
- Finally, the US home services market is further segmented according to the home improvement and geography categories.
- According to Verfified Market Research, the home improvement grouping is further divided into construction and interior design.
- There currently appears to be no authoritative, publicly available information about the geographic sub-segmentation of this market.