Insights and Trends - Home Decor
Home decor options are abundant. As smart home options grow in popularity in Canada, the decor options grow as well. Several Canadian smart home companies are utilizing the recent trends in designing smart home options.
Window Treatments Going Green
- A recent trend in smart homes is becoming more eco-friendly, otherwise known as going green. This is due to a growing focus on social responsibility to preserve the environment for the planet. Window treatments are beginning to reflect this need for smart homes.
- Eco-friendly window treatments are designed to save energy related to heating and cooling, which also saves costs for the homeowner. Energy management has been identified as a primary trend in the needs of Canadian smart homes.
- Somfy Shades, a Canadian supplier of smart home window treatments, has initiated a trend of going green as of 2019. This initiative has 3 focus points: green buildings, green teams, and green products. Somfy shades has a goal is for 80% of somfy shades sold to utilize the "act for green" approach.
- Somfy shades has developed a "green ambassadors" community and practices considered eco-friendly in their groups sites, to enhance this initiative.
- Experts have reported a desire to see more eco-friendly developments in the future of smart home.
- Brilliant Control is a system using a single wall switch to control multiple devices within the smart home, which has been identified as a trend expected to gain popularity in 2020. Control and connectivity needs are predicted to be the primary trend in Canadian smart homes through 2024.
- The Brilliant Control technology allows homeowners to control the lighting, climate, music, and security systems for the home with one switch system in a single location.
- This technology has user-friendly operations, allowing anyone in the home the ability to use the system.
- Brilliant Control technology is available for single and multiple-family smart home units and as an addition to a home not built as a smart home.
- Brilliant technology began being offered in Canada in late 2018, joining the movement for smart home trends in Canada.
- Experts at Techhive noted the Brilliant switches are able to connect and control smart and traditional light switches and have lower prices than other smart controls, making this technology more desirable currently and in the future.
- Patrick Sisson of Home Tech stated Brilliant technology is "upending" the smart home market by being incorporated into new home builds, which will make this technology more standard in smart homes.
Voice Controlled Climate Systems
- Smart homes using voice-activated devices continue to grow in popularity, which includes voice-controlled heating and air systems. These systems fall into the control and connectivity category, which is a rising trend in Canadian smart homes.
- The voice-controlled heating and air system has been identified as one of the predicted top desires for smart homes in 2020.
- Canadian manufacturers of smart homes, such as Sonic Systems, are offering voice-controlled climate systems as part of smart home packages for new and current construction.
- Experts at LiveWire have stated voice-control continues enhancing technology of the future, including smart home climate control systems.
- NBC News noted smart and voice-controlled climate systems continue to raise in popularity due to their ability to save on utility costs in addition to convenience.
Smart Light Bulb and Controls
- While smart lighting is a current component of smart homes, the controls for smart lighting are evolving and developing new trends.
- Multiple Canadian smart home builders, such as KRU and Sonic Systems, offer up-and-coming smart lighting controls, keeping up with the ongoing development of these systems.
- It is predicted that smart lighting controls allowing automated control of light color in addition to intensity will be a growing desire in 2020 smart homes.
- The Yeelight smart LED bulb, available in Canada and the US, is an example of this trend. This light allows users to determine intensity of the light and choose from 16 million color options, connecting to the home's wireless network for control.
- The Yeelight Smart LED Color Bulb and Phillip Hue A19 were identified as two of the top smart light bulbs in 2020, both offered in Canada. Experts at Wirecutter noted the compatibility of smart bulbs with AI systems will allow this technology to continue keeping up with technological advances.
- NBC News identified smart light bulbs as a rising trend in smart lighting controls in smart homes.
- Comfort lighting has been identified as a rising trend in Canadian smart homes, which is predicted to continue rising through 2024.
Smart Usage Designs in Lighting
- Smart usage designs in lighting in Canada include the light bulbs used, smart plugs, and smart light switches designed to save energy.
- A trend in smart home lighting designs include smart usage. This means the lighting options use less energy, which saves the homeowner money and reduces the carbon footprint by up to 17%.
- Energy monitoring systems included in the lighting design allow the energy usage of the home to be monitored, to ensure the smart usage needs are met.
- Canadian companies providing smart home options are offering lighting designs using fewer switches and minimalist designs to save costs, which contributes to the trend of smart usage.
- Energy management is the top rising trend for Canadian smart homes, which makes smart usage design an increasing need in Canada.
- Experts at Consumer Reports noted smart usage designs have multiple options for varying budgets, giving multiple options for usage in traditional and smart homes.Research Strategy
Research began with review of smart home technology trends. This information was cross-references with major companies building smart homes in Canada. The compiled information was further cross-referenced with expert reviews and discussions of the technology, to confirm each concept is a current trend affecting Canada.