Holiday Marketing Case Studies - Macy's, Walmart, Amazon, and Kohl's
A Case Study for all four companies (Macy's Walmart, Amazon and Kohl's) was covered and key performance indicators for their 2017 holiday season were given.
Overall, in the Major Retailers: Ad Awareness list for December 2017, Walmart placed 2nd, Kohl's placed 4th, Amazon placed 5th and Macy's placed 8th. In the Major Retailers: Value list for December 2017, Amazon placed 1st, Walmart placed 2nd and Kohl's placed 10th.
Macy's Case Study
For the holiday period of 2017, Macy's ran their “Lighthouse | The Perfect Gift Brings People Together” Campaign.
Macy's changed its marketing strategy and inculcated an “emotive storytelling” one to connect with its customers. Through the 2017 holiday marketing campaigns, Macy's focused on the emotional aspects of advertising. Macy's elevated some of its work to win the emotional high ground and thus projected itself as someone who is "part of people’s lives". They wanted to make sure that "Christmas advertising reflected that role" and/or positioning.
Macy's "Lighthouse ad celebrates" both generosity of spirit and the fact that the holidays bring us all together. Macy's "thoughtfully (and creatively)" had one of their products placed at the "centre of an emotional story" yet still they succeeded in not making that product the focus of the advertisement.
Key Performance Indicators for Macy's 2017 Holiday Campaign
1) Macy's advertisement had over 4 million views on YouTube which was a success for a campaign that embodied "the spirit of the holiday season while also featuring" their product.
2) For 2017, Macy's reported fourth-quarter sales of $8.7 billion, which is a 1.8% rise over the previous year's period, and this goes with a "comparable sales increase of 1.3%".
Walmart's Case Study
Walmart's ‘Rock This Christmas’ campaign which was done on TV showed "children excitedly unwrapping toys on Christmas morning" all while their parents are celebrating the great deals they got. Walmart aimed to create a "family time experience" for the holidays. "Walmart's chief merchandising officer" went into more detail by stating their goal is to serve their customers and "during the holiday season" they work that much harder to deliver what their customers want the most..." to save time and money"
Walmart went even further by "throwing more than 20,000 parties" at their various Supercenters throughout the 2017 holiday season. Walmart brought back their popular "Holiday Helpers" who are associates that are dedicated to helping customers. This was Walmart's "biggest holiday event ever".
Key Performance Indicators for Walmart's 2017 Holiday Campaign
1) In the United States, Walmart "delivered strong comparable sales growth of 2.6%" which was primarily due to "improved comparable traffic growth in stores of 1.6%". Walmart's holiday sales were solid.
2) Walmart placed 2nd in the Major Retailers "Value list for December 2017". Walmart placed 2nd as well in the Major Retailers "Ad Awareness list for December 2017".
Amazon's Case Study
Amazon’s ‘Give’ Campaign was how they started off the 2017 holiday season. The ad shows their "distinctive Amazon logos" on the boxes animate into delightful mouths that sing to a popular cover version of the song "Give a Little Bit". Amazon's ad is based on an emotional and simple story of a commuter buying a present from Amazon's Christmas Store and show the "entire shipping process" from purchase to arrival.
Key Performance Indicators for Amazon's 2017 Holiday Campaign
1) Amazon captured over 89% of US online spend amongst the major holiday retailers during the holiday season.
2) Amazon reported revenues of $60.5 billion over the holiday period compared to $59.83 billion for the comparable previous period. They attributed this to their strong holiday sales.
3. Amazon placed 1st in the Major Retailers "Value list for December 2017". Amazon placed 5th in the Major Retailers "Ad Awareness list for December 2017".
Kohl's Case Study
Kohl’s “Give Joy, Get Joy” Campaign hinged on their "promotional Kohl's Cash". The advertisement leverages Kohl's Cash "as a distinctive way" for Kohl's customers to "feel more joy during the holiday". The campaign focused on Kohl's Cash as a way to provide their customers with the "deepest savings on everything in their store" for the holiday season.
Key Performance Indicators for Kohl's 2017 Holiday Campaign
1) Kohl's reported fourth-quarter sales of $6.8 billion which were a 9.2% rise over the year-earlier period.
2) Kohl's placed 10th in the Major Retailers "Value list for December 2017". Kohl's placed 4th in the Major Retailers: "Ad Awareness list for December 2017".
Macy's, Walmart, Amazon and Kohl's all had an increase in sales and revenue for the 2017 holiday season when compared to the previous year's holiday season. In the Major Retailers: Value list for December 2017, Amazon placed 1st, Walmart placed 2nd and Kohl's placed 10th. In the Major Retailers: Ad Awareness list for December 2017, Walmart placed 2nd, Kohl's placed 4th, Amazon placed 5th and Macy's placed 8th.