HJ Competitive Analysis
Research determined that trends in the US yearbook industry are fairly subtle, as the industry itself experiences little disruption. Entourage Yearbooks reports that two key trends discussed at the 2019 High School Advisors’ Conference include changes in the concept of a 'yearbook,' and the increased online digitization of the yearbook design process.
Yearbook Design is Moving Online
- While the design process for yearbook design has long been computerized, this process is now moving online.
- Companies such as Entourage Yearbooks offer a software package concurrent with online collaboration tools.
- Entourage's online-enabled program allows for downloads of online information, such as Instagram and Facebook photos.
- While Entourage and SchoolFlicker are two industry players who are leaning into the online design process, other platforms such as Canva are also offering free versions of online yearbook design.
Concept of a 'Yearbook'
- The traditional concept of a yearbook is changing form. Whereas previously a yearbook was considered a hard copy book, yearbooks are now becoming multi-media formats. Yearbooks are even offered in completely digital format.
- Digital yearbooks can include pictures, audio, videos, and text. Individuals can also customize their own yearbooks during the printing run.
- SchoolFlicker is one industry player offering completely digital yearbooks, but the concept has also moved outside the industry. Multi-purpose platforms such as Canva are also offering digital yearbooks.
Research on this topic indicates that industry trends for the yearbook industry are not particularly disruptive. In addition, very few sources give any direct information about the yearbook industry in general, or about trends in this industry. We relied on trends explicitly identified by a key player in the industry; moreover, these trends were the subject of discussion at a recent industry conference.