Hertz - Competitors: The Findings Part One
Competitive advantages for Enterprise include its broad market reach as it has over 7,700 various locations around the world and its affiliate programs that help to develop brand loyalty. Meanwhile, a perceived weakness for the company is that its CarShare services are not available in all U.S. states and is limited to just 35 states in the country.
- With over 7,700 different locations and around "5,800 fully staffed neighborhood and airport branch offices located within 15 miles of 90% of the U.S. population," Enterprise has a wider market reach than its competitors in the nation.
- Enterprise is the official partner of the NHL, or the National Hockey League, as well as the NHLPA (National Hockey League Players' Association), which are both professional hockey entities. The groups have millions of fans, which is a noticeable advantage for Enterprise as they provide broader exposure to existing and potential customers.
- In 2019, Enterprise received several awards and recognitions. These awards included being named "One of the World’s Best Car Rental Companies," by Travel + Leisure Magazine and being recognized as the "Best Travel Agent Support and Highest Client Satisfaction" during the TravelAge West WAVE Awards, among many others.
- The company has affiliate programs in which customers can drive car rentals to earn money. An affiliate program can help increase traffic and grow the online audience. It is also an effective way to create brand loyalty, as the company's affiliate marketers will have a vested interest in its success.
- Enterprise is recognized internationally and is renowned for its excellent customer service, affordable pricing, and neighborhood convenience.
- Enterprise has exceptional community engagement. The company provides support to communities such as tree planting. It has donated more than $60 million to assist with food insecurity globally, and it granted another $1 million to "the American Red Cross Annual Disaster Giving Program to support disaster relief services."
- They also provide country-based websites for their locations outside of the United States, which helps presents customers with a better experience as the sites are appropriately designed for the corresponding country.
- Aside from car rentals, it also provides truck rentals, offers an exotic car collection, sells cars, grants assistance in joining or establishing a local carpool, and a car-sharing program.
- CarShare is only available in 35 different states in the United States compared to its competitors.
- Enterprise Flex-E-Rent offers specialist vehicle, HGV, and van hires on terms that suit a customer's business, which supplies them with a fixed term solution and short term and flexible hires. However, this only limited to the United Kingdom.
- There are also age restrictions for renting certain cars. Younger individuals will be unable to rent exotic vehicles as the minimum age requirement for the driver is 25.
- Enterprise Holdings, Inc. is the parent company of Enterprise Rent-A-Car, as well as National Car Rental and Alamo Rent A Car. Enterprise Holdings generates an annual revenue of around $25.9 billion.
- In Africa and the Middle East, Enterprise offers its services in the following nations: Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Réunion, and Saudi Arabia.
- Meanwhile, in Asia and the Pacific, Enterprise offers its services in the following nations: Australia, China, Guam, New Zealand, Palau, and Saipan.
- In the Americas, Enterprise offers its services in the following nations: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Brazil, Canada, Cayman, Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Barths, St. Maarten, Suriname, Tortola, Trinidad and Tobago, the United States, and Uruguay.
- In Europe, Enterprise offers its services in the following nations: Albania, Armenia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Moldova, Montenegro, the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and the United Kingdom.
We first searched through the company's website and other sites that share news and updates to gather information on its competitive advantage, strengths and weaknesses, and locations. We found several details on the website for Enterprise Holdings, Inc., the parent company of Enterprise. However, we were unable to find revenue information for each competitor. We employed the research strategies outlined below to find the missing information.
For information on its revenue, we first searched for its financial reports, which typically contain revenue figures. During our research, we came across Enterprise's parent company, Enterprise Holdings Inc. Nonetheless, the parent company did not provide any revenue data specifically for Enterprise itself but for Enterprise Holdings Inc. as a whole (annual global revenue).
Next, we explored company databases that provide information on private and public entities, including Crunchbase, Craft, and Owler. Utilizing the platforms' data explorer, we concluded that they did not publish any relevant financial details on Enterprise. Though Crunchbase and Owler showed financial data for the company, these were merely rough estimates and not reliable. Craft provided general financial information on Enterprise Holdings Inc. and not specifically for Enterprise alone.
We then attempted to triangulate its revenue by searching through government websites, industry publications, and articles for useful data points. However, we were unable to locate any statistics or data pertaining to revenue to assist us with our triangulation.
As Enterprise Holdings is a privately owned business, it is not obligated to disclose its revenues (overall or for each brand/product line) to the public. Additionally, Enterprise Holdings provides access to detailed financial information for authorized users and stakeholders can request access for credit purposes. Throughout our research, we came across some paywalled reports (links provided below) that may contain this information.
Paywalled Reports Links
- Here is a link to a Statista report that is behind a paywall.
- Here is a link to a Crunchbase report that is behind a paywall.
- Here is a link to a report from Hoovers that is behind a paywall.