The path-to-purchase for a customer who wants to join a health club is reviewing social media, websites, local SEO's, written content, video content, and through referral programs. Changes likely to occur in the next five years are growth on digital platforms, more qualified staff, personalized services, and more advanced technology. Below is an overview of the findings.
Path-to-PURchase for customers wanting to join a health fitness club
- Potential customers will look at reviews on the social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, review sites) and mostly the negative ones so they evaluate how the health club deals with complaints.
- Posting daily on social media sites will show potential customers the benefits of joining the health club.
- The website can be considered the shop window of a health club and how the health club is articulated will attract potential customers.
- Having a user-friendly website that is easy to navigate, provides the location of the health club and the necessary contacts is important. Also, create a portal for new members to sign up.
- Creating a local SEO makes it easy for a potential customer looking to join a health club in their vicinity to find one.
- The SEO strategy should include getting a Google My Business page, keywords, and citations.
- Getting a Google My Business page helps as Google is the most used search engine in the world. It allows potential clients to see the health club's location, contacts, and even pictures of the facility.
- Keywords are important. If a potential client knows of the health club and searches for it, there is a 72% chance they will visit within 24 hours.
- Citations are online references to the business that do not necessarily need to link to the business' website. The references include Facebook, Yelp, Tripadvisor, Yellow Pages which provide reviews and ratings that a potential client can look at.
WRITTEN FITNESS CONTENT MARKETING
- Keywords are extremely competitive, one needs to write content that will attract potential customers into purchasing a membership.
VIDEO CONTENT MARKETING
- Social media is providing a channel to promote video content.
- Video content allows prospective customers to see the health club's activities and facilities and how much fun customers are having.
- Health club members are the best advocates for the club when interacting with family, friends, and workmates.
- A referral program can include mobile app referrals, email referrals, poster referrals, and referral cards.
- Through the mobile app, members "invite friends" then, after the request is accepted, they fill out a short sign-up form and receive a free day-pass to try out the facility.
- Email referrals work by sending emails with the health club's newsletter that can be shared by members and giving free cards and discounts to new members.
- Poster referrals can work by putting up posters and is a way of attracting new customers.
- Handing out referral cards is a cost-effective channel, as one can use cards that fit in a wallet to share with potential new members.
Data on likely changes in the next 5 years
QUALITATIVE DATA ON CHANGES
- Health clubs will come up with programming tools that will allow customers to have 24/7 access to exercise and nutrition programs.
- More tools will be provided to access contact with the customer through emails or one-on-one contact.
- Trainers will have to double as health coaches so they give fitness and health advice to clients.
- Health clubs will have to hire more qualified personnel who have knowledge of the evolving machine science.
- Health clubs will have to come up with programs that will give each individual what they need to enhance their health.
- Personalized services through pro-shop products, such as home-based programs, will increase revenue.
- Advancement in technology will allow for machines and equipment that will easily adapt to each user, therefore, improving efficiency.
- Leveraging technology will improve both operating performance and the satisfaction of customers.
QUANTITATIVE DATA ON CHANGES
MARKET VALUE HEALTH AND FITNESS CLUB MARKET
- In 2018, the market value was $94.3 billion.
- The growth for this market was estimated to be at 7.81%.
FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET
- The fitness equipment market size was valued at over $10 billion in 2017.
- This market will grow will at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4% from 2018 to 2024.