Dana Farber - Healthcare Communications Approaches
Dana Farber uses phone, email and Partners Patient Gateway to communicate with patients and has its own studio as well as Department of Communications which is available to assist with public interviews. Dana Farber also offers learning programs to its employees and insights on the communications structure is provided below.
Communication with patients
partners patient gateway
- Dana Farber uses Partners Patient Gateway as a way to communicate with adult patients.
- Patients need to use their email to enroll in the Partners Patient Gateway and the portal can be accessed by using a web browser as well as downloading the smartphone app.
- This way Dana Farber informs patients about their lab and X-ray results and news and alerts such as updates on the availability of flu vaccines, among others.
- Dana Farber sends important information to patients electronically using e-mail.
- This way they also conduct patient surveys, inform about unplanned events, weather-related closings or delays, ask for billing information for insurance verification, provide information regarding account balance and send payment reminders.
- Using e-mail, they also send E-Bulletins once a month which deliver short, timely news on things such as events or patient programs and key information such as new resources for patients.
- Dana Farber uses phone to remind patients about appointment times as well as to confirm or reschedule appointments.
- Reminders are sent to remind of exam or radiology appointments rather than infusion or radiation therapies.
- This way, they also inform patients about any appointment cancellation or reschedulements.
- At any time during the phone calls, patients can use their phone's touchtone keypad to take the following actions: confirming or rescheduling appointments and repeating the message.
- Also, the automated system can leave voicemail when call is not picked up.
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute's Department of Communications is available to assist with questions regarding Institute research and care initiatives, locating an expert in a certain area of clinical or research expertise, or obtaining more information about a news event or release.
- Dana Farber requests that journalists speak with a member of media relations team to arrange an interview.
- To maintain patient confidentiality and privacy, a communication staff person is required to accompany reporters, film crews and photographers during their time at Dana-Farber.
- Their studio is equipped with VideoLink HD ReadyCam system, which helps provide instant access to cancer specialists and scientists directly from TV stations.
- Also, Enhanced IP™ Transmission technology allows Dana Farber doctors or researchers to do live or taped interviews over the internet.
COMMUNCATION ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE WITHIN DANA FARBER
- Construction and Fire Specialist Senior Specialist reports to Manager of Environmental Health & Safety.
- Human Resources Analytics Specialist reports to Human Resources Analytics Manager.
- Clinical Research Financial Analyst reports to Director of the Clinical Trial Business Office.
- Senior Director of Financial Planning reports to Vice President of Finance.
- Operations Quality Director reports to Vice President.
- Scientific Director reports to Center Director.
- Frontend Informatics Software Engineer reports to Health Information Office Chief and Software Engineer.
- All human resource activities must be reported to Operations and Business Development Director.
- Director of Digital Marketing and Communications reports to Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer.
- Informatics & Analytics Business Operation Manager reports to Chief Health Information Officer.
- Interpreter Services Program Coordinator reports to Manager of Interpreter Services.
learning programs for employees
- Dana Farber offers learning programs to its employees. Some of them are Effective Presentations; Resolving Conflict at Work; English as a Second Language Program; Customer Service; Microsoft Office computer courses; and writing classes.
- Also, managers can enhance career and leadership skills through extended programs such as a six-month Leadership Certificate Program, a 5-month Supervising at its Best series, and various other.
For communication organization structure within Dana Farber, we consulted LinkedIn job descriptions to locate positions that report to higher positions and listed them in communication organization structure section. We weren't able to completely cover how Dana Farber communicates with employees. We began by searching through the company's official website which only provided information on the learning programs offered by the company to its employees. However, this information was not sufficient for the given criteria, hence, we have provided it as a helpful finding. Next, we tried scouring through healthcare journals such as MDPI, JHMHP Amegroup, and HHMGLOBAL looking to find any reports on communication between healthcare providers and their employees that mentioned Dana Farber. This provided information on internal communications such as telehealth, but no data specific to Dana Farber was found. Following this, we then decided to change our approach by identifying ways healthcare providers communicate with their employees. We identified things such as desktop alerts or employee experience platforms, and then looked for any traces that mention if Dana Farber uses these ways. However, we couldn't find such information in relation to Dana Farber. Ultimately, In order to find information on how Dana Farber communicates with employees, as a last resort we decided to consult Linkedin and Crunchbase, locate current job positions and look into job descriptions to see if any mentioned communication systems employees would use, however no such thing was mentioned there. We have therefore assumed that the lack of data is probably due to scarce information made publicly available around this particular subject.