Healthcare & Transportation Locks Industry
There has been growth in the healthcare and transportation locks market. Some market segments include smart lock NetCode technology, Internet of Things, intelligent electronic locks, and smart padlocks with a mobile app. The demand drivers include the need to reinforce building security, the need for an easy to use security system, companies' need to lessen the frequent loss of goods during transport, and transport companies' need to easily manage hundreds of keys to save time and money.
Healthcare Locks Market
1. Smart Lock NetCode Technology
- The NetCode technology that is embedded into the lock enables audit trails to be viewed as well as downloaded, enabling building managers to have a record of who enters the building and when. People's entry "can be tightly controlled and monitored by issuing time-specific NetCodes which are generated and sent via email and SMS and automatically expire after a certain period."
- Cadderdale and Huddersfield hospital found this smart solution to be favorable. The multiple options of a card, phone, and code entry "made access convenient for staff by removing the hassle of storing, issuing, and replacing keys."
- This technology has been growing since building managers find the convenience of using this lock as it uses wireless technology and utilizes smartphones.
2. IoT (Internet of Things)
- IoT plays a big role in the improvement of access control in health facilities, and there is an increase in systems integration being seen across the board. The internet of things enables facility managers to integrate traditional security solutions with technologically advanced software and devices such as smart locks, HVAC, and network camera analytics.
- According to Tim Shafer, Detex Corp.'s marketing manager, "Access control tools such as locks, exit devices, and door alarms have evolved to meet the changing needs of hospitals in a world where the threat of terrorism is ever-present."
- Paul Baratta, Axis Communications Inc.'s segment developer manager for health care, said, "The internet of things has made the use of access control more widespread and helps decrease the spread of disease, a major concern in hospitals. Card readers that allow doors to be opened automatically for authorized users translate to fewer physical touchpoints such as door handles, push bars or keypads that harbor germs."
- One of the demand drivers for healthcare locks in the US is the hospital's need to reinforce building security to protect expensive medicines and equipment as wells as patient documents that have sensitive data. If these patient documents get misplaced or lost, "the healthcare center responsible could face fines of up to €20 million due to the new data regulation law, GDPR."
- Security is seen to be paramount for the healthcare industry as patients also need to recover and heal in a secure environment while healthcare providers also need to be able to feel safe while delivering medical care.
- Another demand driver for healthcare locks is the hospital's need for security to be convenient or easy to use for their staff. Hospitals need locks that are easy to install and maintain. They also need locks that can provide quick open access.
Transportation Locks Market
1. Intelligent Electronic Locks
- The intelligent electronic lock management system is "based on the computer management software as the background, with the handheld device for the intelligent electronic lock and key Settings, only when the lock core internal microprocessor and the key internal chip mutual verification can unlock an intelligent electronic padlock."
- This intelligent electronic lock "provides two options for the logistics transport lock picking scheme: one is the 'keyless' scheme of the driver, which is locked by the field administrator in the loading area and unlocked by the local administrator after arriving at the unloading area and the other option is that the loading area is locked by the driver or the site administrator."
- Upon arrival at the unloading area, the driver uses the mobile app to apply for an unlock request. The driver is then authorized to open the lock only after the administrator had verified with the local administrator.
- The outstanding difference of this "from the traditional lock is that while fully ensuring the security of goods, the separate settings of electronic lock, smart key, management software, and mobile app really give the initiative of logistics and transportation to the shippers."
- According to the WBOC market report, the global intelligent lock market has been growing. The manufacturers that have been listed for this market include UniKey Technologies, SentriLock, and Mul-T-Lock among others.
2. Noke Smart Padlock with Mobile App
- With the Noke Smart Padlock, all audit trails and activity are recorded and saved at an instant so that it can be accessed, reviewed, and shared anytime. Its mobile app can be used to remove or add personal lock-outs from anywhere.
- One of the companies that utilized Noke Smart Padlock is Shackleford Enterprises, a roadside service company. Shackleford reports that Noke Smart Padlock has allowed the company to secure "millions of dollars worth of remote parts and provide instant access to dozens of mechanics across several states." Shackleford has seen no losses due to theft upon the use of this smart padlock.
- This locking solution also allowed Shackleford to repair their trucks no matter where and when they break down as the truckload has already been secured by the smart padlock. The growth of this market segment is seen in the growing number of industries and companies to which they cater.
- The Noke Bluetooth Smart Padlock collection also introduces three of "the world's most powerful and intelligent padlocks built to provide keyless, tamper-resistant security, in any industry, from any smartphone."
- One of the demand drivers for transportation locks in the US is the company's need to lessen the frequent loss of goods in the logistics transportation industry. Because of theft, the cargo transport industry has been in great need of more secure locks.
- Another demand driver is the company's need to eliminate the trouble of managing hundreds of keys to save significant money and time.