Health Food Sourcing and Manufacturing Trends
Some marketing trends regarding the health food sourcing and manufacturing industry include social media use and highlighting of healthy ingredients. As there is scarce information publicly available regarding this specific industry, we provided the following trends based on general food manufacturing industry data and the analysis of a series of companies in the health food sourcing and manufacturing industry.
Social Media Use
- In the past year, food manufacturing companies have increased their social media marketing efforts. The companies in the health food sourcing and manufacturing space are no exception.
- This trend may be driven by the Covid-19 pandemic circumstances, which is causing the audience to be more "receptive to messaging from food brands on social media."
- Two examples of companies that are making an effort to attract customers through social media are Essex Food Ingredients and GoodSource Solutions.
Highlighting Healthy Ingredients
- Companies in the food sourcing and manufacturing industry are highlighting the quality and healthy characteristics of their ingredients on their websites.
- This trend could be caused by the surge of demand for healthy food by customers, which was exacerbated due to the coronavirus pandemic and the need to have better immune systems.
- Two companies at the forefront of this trend are PacMoore and Hearthside Foods.
How Regulations Affect Their Business Strategy
Resilience amidst Stresses on Food Supply Chains
- The COVID-19 pandemic has caused stresses on food supply chains, "with bottlenecks in farm labor, processing, transport and logistics, as well as momentous shifts in demand." As a result, companies are implementing different measures to prevent the disruption of the food supply. These measures include ensuring food production while preventing infection in the workplace.
- This trend may be the result of "policies adopted to contain the spread of the virus" and how they have affected food supply chains across the world.
- One company at the forefront of this trend is Cargill.
Adapting to Comply with New Regulations
- The coronavirus pandemic has caused the launch of new regulations and/or protocols for the food industry. For example, a checklist for food production companies was issued by the FDA and OSHA in August 2020. As a result, companies are adapting to comply with these new regulations by, for example, prohibiting non-critical travel, monitoring possible infections, and implementing contact tracing.
- This trend is driven by the surge of new protocols brought by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- One example of a company that is proving to be adapting to these regulations is ADM.