Health and Fitness Trends in Phoenix
The Phoenix area is well-known as a destination for health and wellness consumers. One trend for 2020 that is being written about by health, wellness, fitness, and other experts is the increased use of CBD-based products for health and wellness. In the absence of other wellness trends specific to Phoenix, the national trend towards travel to wellness retreats was included because there are many wellness resorts in the Phoenix area.
Increased Use of CBD-based Products for Health and Wellness
- Since 2018, many stores in the Phoenix metro area have begun selling CBD products. CBD products are found in food, deodorant, pet treats, anti-aging creams, and multivitamins. Sales and demand for the products has increased in 2019, and is expected to increase in 2020.
- CBD products are used to treat pain, improve, cardiovascular health, induce sleep, reduce anxiety, and decrease nerve pain. They are also used to reduce inflammation. Now that their use is legal in Arizona, sales have increased.
- CBD products are now available in major chains of stores including CVS, Walgreens, Kroger, Rite-Aid, and GNC, not just marijuana dispensaries.
- Some CBD products popular in Arizona are edibles, vaporizer oil, tinctures, skin creams, other topical products, and muscle relaxing patches. A coming trend in edibles is raw honey infused with CBD.
- In addition to CBD products available in stores, CBD products can also be bought online in Arizona.
Travel to and Use of Wellness Retreats
- Wellness retreats are places to learn about meditation, breathing, yoga, and stress reduction, and to be pampered with physical body treatments. Wellness retreat visits in the Phoenix area increased in 2019 and will continue to increase in 2020. These retreats can last from a weekend to two weeks. Retreats can include training and practice in breathing techniques, guided meditation, yoga, and other techniques.
- Wellness vacations are a related national trend for 2020. These trips combine a destination vacation with some time spent in training in meditation, yoga, and/or other mindfulness practices. Wellness vacations often include healthy meals and exercise.
- CBD meditation is available in some wellness locations, combining the trend for CBD products with the trend toward wellness travel.
- Greater Phoenix has many available options for wellness consumers looking for wellness retreats. More than 25 spas and wellness centers are located there, as well as hospitals, medical centers, and other related services. Health resorts such as Arizona Grand Resort and Spa, Arizona Biltmore, Royal Palms Resort and Spa, JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort and Spa are listed by Trip Advisor as top destinations.
To search for 2020 trends in health and wellness, fitness, lifestyle, or beauty space in Phoenix, we first tried searches for specific terms, e.g., "trends in health and fitness in 2020 in Phoenix". Several articles were found for 2020 trends in those four topics, but only one of them was focused on Phoenix or even on Arizona. The one article specific to Phoenix, "Top Health and Wellness Trends to Look Out for in 2020", listed four 2020 trends. But when we followed up on those four trends, we found additional information on only two of them (CBD and wellness), and only CBD was specific to Arizona. We looked for information on market size in case there were breakouts for states, but did not find any.
Our next attempt was to find information on travel and tourism in Arizona, and chamber of commerce lists of spas and/or wellness centers. The sources we found did not break out spas and wellness centers as destinations, other than Sedona. Instead, they focused on national parks and other recreation areas, and provided statistics on overnight stays, number of people in the travel group, money spent at restaurants, etc.
We segmented the beauty topic into skincare, makeup, and hair styling and looked for trends in Phoenix, but did not find any information.