Harvest and Shelter Competitive Analysis, Part 1
Community Action House, Food and Shelter, and Mel Trotter have a small number of employees (12–24) helping a large community of poor, hungry, and homeless people. They also only help people around the same area or vicinity. More information on the topic has been presented in the attached spreadsheet.
Summary of the findings
COMMUNITY ACTION HOUSE
- Community Action House is working to end poverty in their community. They help families get out of difficult financial situations.
- Their mission is to "provide area families and individuals with food, clothing, shelter and the opportunity to build necessary skills to achieve a stable and prosperous life."
food and shelter
- Food and Shelter's has a small staff of 12. Their mission is to feed those who are hungry and embrace the people that feel lost and alone.
- Women, children, and men go to them for food and shelter.
- Mel Trotter currently has 24 employees who help the people experiencing hunger and homelessness.
Harvest and Shelter Competitive Analysis, Part 2
The Union Mission Ministries is a non-profit organization that was founded in 1892. They offer food, clothing, shelter, and many more to community including men, women, and children that are homeless. On the other hand, Harvest Stand Ministries is a non-profit organization that aims to lift people out of poverty by responding to human need. The link to the spreadsheet is here.
1. Union Mission
- The Union Mission Ministries is a non-profit organization that was founded in 1892. They offer food, clothing, shelter, and many more to community including men, women, and children who are homeless.
- They are located at 5100 East Virginia Beach Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23502.
- They also have another office at 3000 North Landing Road in Virginia Beach, VA.
- The estimated number of employees of The Union Mission Ministries is 81.
- The annual revenue for 2018 (July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018) is $7,421,824.
- Their target market are poor and homeless men who are 18 and older.
- Their target market also include homeless single women who are 18 years and older and single women with children.
- They also help children accompanied by a female legal guardian.
- They target homeless and poor people within their community or Norfolk, VA and Virginia Beach, VA area.
- They also support anyone in need regardless of age, creed, religion, color, gender, and nationality.
Major Contracts / Partnerships
2. Harvest Stand Ministries
- Harvest Stand Ministries is a non-profit organization that aims to lift people out of poverty by responding to human need.
- They are located at Faith Reformed Church, 100 Pine St #100, Zeeland, MI 49464.
- This organization offers food pantry, life coaching, clothing, and financial coaching to support families.
- The estimated number of employees of Harvest Stand Ministries is 10.
- The annual revenue (01-01-2017 — 12-31-2017) of Harvest Stand Ministries (His Harvest Stand) is $354,633.
- Their target market is low-income and struggling families regardless of age.
- Their target market also includes families in need and residents in the service area of Zeeland, MI.
- They also support individuals in their service area through their life coaching.
Major Contracts / Partnerships
- Their partners are Greater Ottawa County United Way, Ottawa Food, City on a Hill Health Clinic, Community Mental Health, Michigan Works!, and Ottawa County Department of Public Health.
According to the Amercian Community Survey from the American Census Bureau, as of 2017, the estimated population of the city of Zeeland, MI was 5,584. There are significantly more females than males in Zeeland and the city has a sizable older population with just under one quarter of residents being over the age of 65. The demographic details of this population are outlined below.
- Approximately 12.4% of the population of Zeeland is under 10 years old. This figure was calculated by combining the figures for under 5 years (8.3%) and 5-9 years (4.1%).
- Approximately 11.4% of the population of Zeeland is between 10 and 19 years old. This figure was calculated by combining the figures for 10-14 (7.0%) years and 15-19 years (4.4%).
- Approximately 11.2% of the population of Zeeland is between 20 and 24 years old.
- Approximately 10.0% of the population of Zeeland is between 25 and 34 years old.
- Approximately 11.2% of the population of Zeeland is between 35 and 44 years old.
- Approximately 10.7% of the population of Zeeland is between 45 and 54 years old.
- Approximately 8.7% of the population of Zeeland is 55 to 64 years old. This figure was calculated by combining the figures for 55 to 59 years (4.2%) and 60 to 64 years (4.5%).
- Approximately 24.3% of the population of Zeeland is over 65 years old.
- An estimated 58.8% of the population in Zeeland is female while 41.2% is male.
- There are 70.1 males for every 100 females in Zeeland. This discrepancy is even more stark in the over 65 population, which has 45.4 males for every 100 females.
- The population of Zeeland is approximately 89.2% White, 1.2% African American, 2.3% Asian and 4.7% other races.
- Approximately 12.9% of the population of Zeeland is Hispanic or Latino.
- An estimated 10.4% of the population between 18 and 24 and 13.9% of the population 25 and older do not have a high school diploma.
- About 39.6% of the population ages 18 to 24 and 33.3% of the population 25 years or older has a high school diploma, but no college education.
- Approximately 43.1 % of the population between the ages of 18 and 24 and 30.9% of the population over age 25 has attended some college or has an associate's degree.
- An estimated 6.9% of the population between 18 and 24 and 21.9% of the population over 25 has a bachelor's degree or higher.
- The median household income in Zeeland in 2017 was estimated to be $43,136.
- Approximately 9.4% of the population of Zeeland falls below the poverty level.
- Males make significantly more than females in Zeeland with the median full time annual income for males being $45,455 while the median full time annual income for females is $32,643.
- It was estimated that 2.6% of the population of Zeeland was unemployed in 2017.
- The most common employment industries in Zeeland are education/healthcare/social services (27.7%) and manufacturing (25.2%)
- Approximately 15.2% of workers in Zeeland are government employees while 81.4% are privately employed and 3.4% are self-employed.
- Approximately 73.2% of households in Zeeland own the home they live in while 26.8% rent.
- The average household size of homeowners is 2.51 while the average household size of renters is 1.96.
- The area of Zeeland with the highest population density is the area south of Roosevelt Ave., north of Central Ave., west of State St. and east of Jefferson St. This area has a population density of 4,870 per square mile.
- The next most populated areas are those directly south and east of area described above with population densities of 2,822 per square mile and 2,638 per square mile respectively.
- The outlying areas of Zeeland have population densities of 803-1,696 per square mile, significantly less than those closer to the center of the city.
- Approximately 24.4% of the adult population of Zeeland has their own child under age 18 living in their home.
- There are 670 households with children under 18 in Zeeland, accounting for 29.8% of households.
Zeeland Charter Township Demographics
Zeeland Charter Township has a total population of 11,404 people living in 3,491 households. The median household income for the township residents is about $77,194, while the average per capita income for 2017 stood at $26,689. The Zeeland Charter Township population features 89.8% whites, 6.6% Hispanics, and 4.4% Asians. The detailed demographic presentation of Zeeland Charter Township, Ottawa County, Michigan, is presented below.
- Total land area of Zeeland Charter Township is 34.40 sq. miles.
- In 2018, the total population of the township was 11,404. The percent change in population since 2010 is found to be 14.4%.
- Total number of households in 2017 were 3,491, while families as percent of all households was 79%.
- Total population under the age of 65 years with disabilities: 7.2%.
- Total of 294 veterans were living in the township between 2013-2017.
- Total number of individuals under the age of 65 and without health insurance: 5.2%.
AGE AND GENDER
- Total Population: 11,404 (100%) individuals.
- Population under the age of 5 years: 6.9%.
- Population under the age of 18 years: 31.4%.
- Population over the age of 65 years: 10.6%.
- Female population: 50.7%.
- Median age: 34 years.
- Marital status: percent population married (65%); never married (23%); divorced (8%); widowed (4%).
- Whites: 89.8%.
- Black or African American: 0.1%.
- Asian: 4.4%.
- Two or more races: 2.4%.
- Hispanic or Latino: 7.4%.
- Foreign born person: 6.6%.
HOUSING and households
- The Zeeland Charter Township has a total of 3,655 housing units, of which 3,508 are occupied housing units.
- The owner-occupied housing units in 2017: 93.6%.
- Percent of people living in same house since over 1 year: 89.5%.
- Median value of owner-occupied housing units in 2017: $173,400.
- Median gross rent for housing units in 2017: $704 per month.
- Individuals living per household in 2017: 3.11 individuals.
- Total percent of households with one person — 17.2%; two persons — 28.4%; three persons — 16.8%; four persons and more — 37.7%.
- New residential permits in 2017 for homes — 65; condominiums — 6; apartments — 86; and mobile home sets — 6.
Education AND INTERNET
- Education attainment percent: high school or higher — 93.5%; bachelor's degree or higher — 30.7%; master's degree — 10%; some college or associate's degree — 29%; high school diploma or equivalent
— 34%; less than high school diploma— 7%; Less than 9th Grade — 2.8%.
- A total of 90.7% households in Zeeland Charter County have a computer, and over 85.9% have a broadband internet connection.
- Total number of people over the age of 16 years: 7,701 individuals (100%).
- Total number of people in civilian labor force (16 years+): 5,768 individuals (74.9%).
- Total percent of female population in civil labor force (16 years+): 67.7%.
- Total number of civil labor force employed: 5,422 individuals (70.4%).
- Employment by type: management, business, science, and arts occupations (31.3%); service occupations (15.2%); sales and office occupations (16.8%); natural resources, construction, and maintenance occupations (7.3%); and production, transportation, and material moving occupations (29.4%).
- Class of Worker: private wage and salary workers (88.3%); government workers: (6.3%); self-employed in own not incorporated business workers (5.1%); unpaid family workers: (0.3%).
- Major industry types that employ the workforce include — construction (5.8%); manufacturing (36%); wholesale and retail trade (10%); transportation and utilities (4.7%); professional and administrative services (4.2%); educational and healthcare services (18.7%); recreation, accommodation and food services (6.3%).
- Mean travel time to work (minutes) for workers: 17.6 minutes.
Income & Poverty
- Median household income in 2017: $77,194.
- Mean household income: $78,231.
- Median family income: $84,142.
- Mean family income: $88,754.
- Average per capita income in 2017: $26,689.
- Percent of people living in poverty: 5.2%.
From Part 01
- "Provide area families and individuals with food, clothing, shelter and the opportunity to build necessary skills to achieve a stable and prosperous life."
- "Specialties: Food and Personal Items, Foreclosure Intervention Services, Case Management, Resale stores, Community Housing Partnership, Homelessness Prevention, Financial Education Classes, Holland Community Garden, EPIC Empowerment Institute - Empowerment Skills Training."
From Part 04
- "Zeeland charter township, Ottawa County, Michigan
Total households: 3,491
Poverty (%): 4%
ALICE (%): 20%
Above ALICE Threshold (%): 76%"