Haptic Technology Trends and Emerging Companies
Four trends in the haptic technology market are haptic suits, touchscreen devices, haptic ads, and haptic gloves. Three emerging companies that are having a big impact on the industry are Bhaptics, Hap2U, and Plexus Immersive.
TRENDS IN THE HAPTIC TECHNOLOGY MARKET
1) HAPTIC SUITS
- The Teslasuit is the world’s first full-body haptic suit and includes features such as motion capture and climate control.
- This suit could potentially be used in the gaming market, entertainment, and VR/AR industry.
- Its haptic feedback system is based on electrostimulation that provides users with a sense of touch and presence in a digital world.
- The haptic feedback technology will allow customers to enjoy a more immersive VR experience.
2) TOUCHSCREEN DEVICES
- The TanvasTouch uses haptic feedback technology to allow users to feel the texture on touchscreen devices.
- This technology was created after ten years of research by the Neuroscience and Robotics Lab at Northwestern University.
- It acts as an electromagnet for the skin, physically pulling at the tips of the fingers as they move across the screen that provides a dynamic sense of touch.
- The prototype was showcased at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in 2017.
- Tanvas has stated that the technology could be adopted for any touchscreen smartphone or tablet and will be useful for the retail industry.
3) HAPTIC ADS
- Immersion is one of the companies that have applied haptic technology in advertising.
- Its ad for Stolichnaya Vodka allowed consumers to simulate the feel of a cocktail being made in their hands.
- According to a study by IPG and Magna, TouchSense ads have performed better than standard video ads as they have led to a 62% increase in feelings of connection to brands.
- Haptic ads for automobiles place users in the driver’s seat in ways that traditional ads cannot do.
- The technology emulates the sensation of consumers being in an actual car.
4) HAPTIC GLOVES
- HaptX’s haptic gloves allow users to feel the size, weight, temperature, and impact of virtual objects.
- Haptic gloves could be used for entertainment, designing, manufacturing, and training.
- Plexus Immersive Corp has also created a pair of VR gloves that integrate haptic feedback technology and interface with multiple tracking standards.
EMERGING COMPANIES THAT ARE HAVING A BIG IMPACT ON THE INDUSTRY
- Founded in 2015, Bhaptics specializes in using haptic feedback technology for VR applications.
- Its products connect users with the virtual world.
- Unlike other haptic suits on the market, the Bhaptics system focused on comfort.
- The software designed by the company allows users to access and send information to video games and apps that have been integrated with haptic technology.
- Founded in 2015, Hap2U owns seven global patents in hardware and software based on haptic technology.
- The company has developed a patented technology that enhances users’ experience in the digital world by allowing them to use the sense of touch in tactile devices.
- It has participated in the 2018 CES to showcase a touch interface product that uses haptic technology.
- The product allows users to experience a sense of touch that feels like they are actually turning the handle or pushing the cursor.
3) PLEXUS IMMERSIVE
- Founded in 2017, Plexus Immersive offers high performance, affordable haptic gloves for VR and AR platforms.
- The haptic gloves work with VR platforms such as SteamVR, Oculus Rift, and Microsoft’s Mixed Reality VR.
- It is made with silicon fiber and haptic feedback is built into every finger.