Shell Branded Gas Stations and Stores
Shell operates a total of about 39,000 Shell-branded gas stations and stores in the US — which is 25,000 Shell-branded gas stations and 14,000 Shell-branded stores. We have updated this data in column B, row 3 of the attached spreadsheet. However, there is no breakdown of these numbers for each of the states in the US.
Shell-Branded Gas Stations and Shell-Branded Stores
- There are 25,000 Shell-branded gas stations in the US., with operation in all 50 states.
- There are 8,300 Shell-branded gas stations in the eastern and southern United States and 6,000 Shell-branded gas stations in the western United States.
- There are 14,000 Shell-branded stores in the US.
Shell-Branded Retail Stations
- There are at least 10,000 Shell-branded retail stations in the U.S.
- There are "more than 6,000 Shell-branded gasoline stations in the western United States" while there are approximately 8,300 in the eastern and southern United States.
Since the previous submission of this brief identified the number of Shell-branded gas stations in the US, we proceeded to find the breakdown by states. To tried to achieve this, by using the gas station locator on its website to put together this data per state. However, there is no indication that the numbers are for Shell-branded gas stations "since it operates different models, including full ownership of retail stations through to franchise agreements." Hence, we decided not to use it. There is another report that provides a regional breakdown although it doesn't completely tally with the total number. However, in all, no other resources, including annual reports, industry reports, and media publications provided the breakdown of Shell-branded gas stations by state.
Lastly, while we could identify the number of Shell-branded stores in the US, there wasn't any breakdown available. We reviewed its recent annual report where it only reported the total number of Shell-branded retail stations globally. Furthermore, the report described these retail stations as locations where customers "buy fuel and convenience items, including beverages and snacks, and services such as car washes." No other resources, including company websites, media articles, and industry publications revealed a breakdown of the number of Shell-branded stores in the US. Further research could only reveal that there are at least 10,000 Shell-branded retail stations in the U.S. with no further breakdown by states.