Gut Intelligence Market Overview
The gut intelligence market has recently allowed consumers to become more aware of their gut flora concerning their health by implementing various innovations such as microbiome testing, personal nutritional recommendations, probiotic advancements, and AI technology. Consumers are generally aware of their gut intelligence but are lacking reliable sources of information to improve their health.
Services & Innovations
- Viome is a company that sequences the gut microbiome from a very small stool sample.
- Biohm is a probiotic supplement business that offers gut microbiome tests.
- Thryve is a health-tech company based in the San Francisco area that can provide a microbe population make-up report and dietary and supplement recommendations.
- DayTwo is a company in Israel that applies research on gut microbiomes and machine learning algorithms, delivering a personal nutritional recommendation to minimize blood sugar spikes.
- A team at the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard has created a human-organs-on-chips technology to model intestinal inflammation and overgrowth of bacteria, allowing scientists to analyze how gut microbes contribute to the immune system and investigate IBD.
- Synbiotic Health, a Nebraskan company is developing a combination of beneficial gut bacteria and the fuel that feeds them, or an advanced prebiotic and probiotic supplement.
- An app using AI technology called Atlas allows consumers to take images of their food and receive personalized meal scores and lifestyle recommendations/changes in return.
- In a recent survey, over 60% of the respondents believed their gut health had a large impact on their overall health.
- Only 40% were able to pinpoint signs such as severe gas, bloating, and stomach pain regarding their gut being unhealthy.
- According to a survey, 46% of people said that they are unsatisfied with their knowledge of their gut health.
- The internet is the second most used source of information for gut health, coming before both nutritionists and pharmacists.
- 60% of the women surveyed said that they had been diagnosed with digestive issues and 50% diagnosed with IBS at some point in their life. Of those, two-thirds adopted a new diet without any recommendation of a healthcare professional.
- One in three people surveyed take additional supplements during the winter months to maintain a healthy immune system, because of 70% being in the digestive tract, but 24% did not consider how to otherwise maintain a healthy immune system.
- From Russia to the Middle East, fermented foods have been consumed for digestion regulation and boosting immune health for centuries.
- The Hazda people of Tanzania observe microbiome cycles throughout the year, eating more meat and fruit in dry seasons and honey and berries in wet seasons, which isn't seen in the standard Western diet.
- In Bulgaria and Central Asia, nomads carried milk in animal skins, unintentionally discovering how to ferment and preserve food, subsequently creating yogurt.
- In the Caucus Mountains back in 10,000BC the creation of kefir was discovered.
- Filmjolk is sour fermented milk that has been drunk in Norway and Sweden since the ninth century.