Gorgias Addressable Market on Shopify
About 500,000 merchants and 250,000 merchants are active and generating revenue on Shopify and Magento platforms, respectively.
- There are at least 500,000 merchants on the Shopify platform that are active and generating revenue.
- As of June 2019, it is quoted that they are collectively driving more than $40 billion in sales.
- There are more than 250,000 merchants on the Magento platform that are active and generating revenue.
- Based on the most recent data, active merchants were collectively generating $4.2 billion in revenue, and this "is expected to grow to $14.2 billion by 2020."
- During the 2018 financial year, Adobe acquired Magento for $1.7 Billion.
The research team searched through Shopify and Magento's financial results, credible media sites, and industry-related databases that publish information about the two, to determine the number of merchants actively using the platform and thereby generating revenue. We found that the number of merchants can also be applied to mean the number of stores on the platform. For example, in the case of Shopify, the e-commerce platform has about 820,000 merchants or stores (as of June 2019), excluding the staff members of those stores. The team endeavored to find the number of merchants/stores that are active and generating revenue for each, and found the information is readily available.