GIS Certificate: Motivations
The 5 major reasons that push high school students in the U.S. and Canada to add a certificate to their undergraduate program include an application qualification, skills, job prospects, employer confidence, and application in numerous industries.
Major reasons that push high school students in the U.S. and Canada to add a certificate to their undergraduate program:
1. Application Qualification:
- GIS certification increases the chances of being shortlisted by an employer as the certification allows the candidate to stand out against the competition.
- With GIS certificate, students acquire various skills such as “mapping and geospatial analysis, creating, mapping, and analyzing geographic information, and computational and information analysis skills”.
- GIS certificate enables candidates to understand the geographic principles behind the analyses they conduct.
3. Job Prospects:
- GIS certificates prepare students for a variety of careers in the growing job market.
- Some jobs that are available after GIS certificate program include: “database administrator, data technician, geospatial analyst, cartographer, GIS educator, software designer, and project manager”.
4. Employer Confidence:
- GIS certificate helps younger job-seekers with a lesser reputation and a robust portfolio gain employer confidence, based on their professional certification.
- GIS certificate formally recognizes GIS professionals who maintain standards of professional conduct and competence.
5. Application in Numerous Industries:
- GIS and related geospatial techniques are growing and are being increasingly applied to numerous sectors in society.
- The top 6 industries for GIS include supply chain management, insurance, forestry and timber, urban planning, banking, and health and human services.
We started the search by directly searching for the major reasons that push high school students in the U.S. and Canada to add a certificate to their undergraduate program. The idea here was to find the benefits offered by GIS certification to students from Gen Z demographics who would currently be undergoing an undergraduate program in the U.S. and Canada.
We came across numerous universities that offer GIS certificate including, but not limited to, the University of Missouri, Ohio University, the University of Illinois and the University of Southern California. Through the advantages/benefits mentioned for each of the above mentioned GIS certificates, we were able to devise the motivators for high school students in the U.S. and Canada to add a certificate or a minor to their undergraduate program. The assumption here was that these advantage/benefits motivate students to opt for a GIS certificate.
Further, we came across a study published on T and F Online that includes results of an online survey that finds the motivators for students choosing the GIS certification program.
In addition, we also searched through various forums and blogs related to GIS, including but not limited to Go Geomatics and GIS Geography which provided additional advantages and benefits of a GIS certificate. Again, the assumption here was that these advantage/benefits motivate students to opt for GIS certificate.