Gap Inc - Growth Performance
Our research found that Gap Inc. has grown in 2017 and 2018, after a two-year slide in 2015 and 2016. Of the specified Gap Inc. brands, Athleta has achieved the greatest growth by far, while its Gap and Banana Republic brands have been in consistent decline over the past five years.
A. Gap Inc.'s Growth Performance
1. Gross Profit
- Gap Inc.'s gross profit in 2018 was $6.322 billion.
- The company's 2017 gross profit totaled $6.066 billion.
- Gap Inc. had a gross profit of $5.640 billion in 2016.
- The company's gross profit in 2015 amounted to $5.729 billion.
- Gap Inc.'s 2014 gross profit totaled $6.289 billion.
2. Net Sales
- Gap Inc.'s net sales in 2018 were $16.580 billion.
- The company's 2017 net sales totaled $15.855 billion.
- Gap Inc. had net sales of $15.516 billion in 2016.
- The company's net sales in 2015 amounted to $15.797 billion.
- Gap Inc.'s 2014 net sales totaled $16.435 billion.
3. Gross Margin
- Gap Inc.'s gross margin in 2018 was 38.1%.
- In 2017, the company's gross margin totaled 38.3%.
- Gap Inc. had a gross margin of 36.3% in 2016.
- The company's 2015 gross margin amounted to 36.2%.
- Gap Inc. had a gross margin of 38.3% in 2014.
4. Total Assets
- Gap Inc.'s total assets in 2018 were $8.049 billion.
- In 2017, Gap Inc. had $7.989 billion in total assets.
- The company's total assets in 2016 amounted to $7.610 billion.
- Gap Inc.'s 2015 total assets were $7.473 billion.
- In 2014, the company had $7.690 billion in total assets.
5. Net Income
- Gap Inc.'s 2018 net income totaled $1.003 billion.
- The company's net income in 2017 was $848 million.
- In 2016, Gap Inc. had $676 million in net income.
- Gap Inc's net income in 2015 amounted to $920 million.
- The company's 2014 net income totaled $1.262 billion.
B. Growth Performance by Gap Inc. Brand
- The Gap brand had net sales in 2018 that totaled $5.160 billion.
- In 2017, the brand's net sales were $5.318 billion.
- The brand's 2016 net sales amounted to $5.455 billion.
- Gap's net sales in 2015 totaled $5.751 billion.
- In 2014, the brand had net sales that amounted to $6.165 billion.
- The brand's comparable sales percentage was decreased by 5% in 2018, 1% in 2017, 3% in 2016, 6% in 2015, and 5% in 2015.
2. Banana Republic
- Banana Republic had net sales in 2018 that totaled $2.456 billion.
- In 2017, the brand's net sales were $2.380 billion.
- The brand's 2016 net sales amounted to $2.471 billion.
- Banana Republic's net sales in 2015 totaled $2.656 billion.
- In 2014, the brand had net sales that amounted to $2.922 billion.
- The brand's comparable sales percentage increased by 1% in 2018, preceded by a 2% decrease in 2017, a 7% decrease in 2016, and a 10% decrease in 2015 (value not stated for 2014).
- Athleta was recently described in an article as Gap Inc.'s "success story" after having achieved "double-digit sales growth in the last two years [2017-18]."
- During "the first half of 2017," Athleta's sales growth was in the mid-teen percentages. However, in the second half of 2017, Athleta's sales growth rose to the mid-20 percentages (exact percentages not specified).
- In 2018, 14 Athleta stores were opened, in stark comparison to just the one store that was closed, yielding 148 total stores.
- In 2017, 16 Athleta stores were opened, while there were no store closes, yielding 132 total stores.
- In 2016, 12 Athleta stores were opened and none were closed, bringing its total store count to 120.
- In 2015, 19 Athleta stores were opened and none were closed, resulting in 101 total stores.
- In 2014, 37 Athleta stores were opened, while just one was closed, yielding 65 total stores.
4. Janie & Jack
- Gap Inc. just recently acquired Janie & Jack, as the acquisition was announced on March 4, 2019. For that reason, growth information about Janie & Jack, as a Gap Inc. brand, is not available. However, we did find that Gap Inc. paid $35 million to acquire Janie & Jack.
Your research team applied the following strategy:
We began our research by combing through Gap Inc.'s annual reports, in order to find information about its performance over the past five years. In so doing, we also looked for such information about its specified brands (Gap, Banana Republic, Janie & Jack, and Athleta). Overall, more information was available for Gap Inc. than for its brands, likely because it's the parent company and those brands are accounted for in its gross performance data. However, we included all the publicly-available growth performance data we found about the specified brands, both from the annual reports and articles we consulted. In total, we referenced three Gap Inc. Annual Reports (2018, 2016, and 2015) in order to compile performance data spanning the past five years.